Author Topic: Automobile applications?  (Read 6893 times)

Joel Moore

• View Profile
Automobile applications?
« on: April 25, 2007, 03:04:28 PM »
Has anyone tried using T100 PLCs in an 12V automobile environment?  I know the PLC can be run at 12V but I wasn't sure if there are other concerns in this situation (engine noise?).

I got someone excited about the possibility of using a TriPLC combined with a touchscreen to control some systems on his custom car project and I want to make sure I'm not leading him down the wrong path.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Automobile applications?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 01:05:49 PM »
There have been applications of the M-series PLC in 12V vehicular environment. However, the PLC should be powered from some DC-DC converter or have separate battery which will maintain the power supply voltage even when you crank the engine. Otherwise the cranking voltage dip will reset the PLC and may also corrupt the EEPROM if there are voltage surges during engine cranking.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

andrew_holt

• Andrew Holt
    • View Profile
    • 4 A Solutions
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 07:40:56 AM »

The simplest thing would be to place diodes to protect against power polarity reverse, and a BIG capacitor across the supply rails.

HTH
Andrew

k1w1

• I'm not a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 11:15:33 PM »
I use the both the  888 & 1616 for automotive applications in 12 & 24 volt systems and find they give good reliable service as long as you put diodes across any solenoid coils you are controlling and you use the recommended power input protection.  Although some times I have had problems with noise on analog signal inputs, but a filter and/or averaging the signal input seems to take care of that.  Also their versitility means I dont need to keep lots of spares.