Author Topic: Controlling Solid State Relays (110vac Load)  (Read 7083 times)

klundy

• View Profile
Controlling Solid State Relays (110vac Load)
« on: December 20, 2006, 04:18:12 PM »
I have the need to control 50 +/- 110vac Lighting Loads and would like to provide dimming capability.

I believe I can use the Digital Outputs of a T100MD or EXP4040 to turn On & Off Solid State Relays if I use 3-32v Input models.

But can I use the Digital Outputs to provide a PWM type of output using Special Bits / Clock Bits <and/or> some type of a clocked output to provide the dimming function?

If not, is there an expansion module or another solution that would provide a larger quantity of PWM outputs?  

Thanks...

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Controlling Solid State Relays (110vac Load)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 04:36:48 PM »
PWM outputs are only suitable for controlling DC load. AC load are controlled by Triac OR SCR and not easily interface to a PLC.

Since you have so many AC 110V lights, you may want to look for a lighting control system that has RS232 interface (usually designed for a PC to control it). Then you can program the M-series PLC to control the lighting using communication command.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

Joel Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 11:32:48 AM »
There are analog controlled SCRs out there (e.g. http://www.power-io.com/products.htm).  However you only have 2 analog out per T100MD so if you wanted to control all 50 lights independently you'd need a lot of PLCs.  You could get external analog I/O modules, though, like those from ICP (http://www.icpdas-usa.com/i_7024.html) but you'd need a lot of those as well.

The suggestion above seems like your best bet.

brettski

• View Profile
    • PCE Technical
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 09:29:32 AM »
Using a standard output port will only give you a ON/OFF!  What you could use is a Proportional SSR which uses an analogue input for 0-100% of power out.  I use these often and work great!

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Brett

cdenk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 07:46:19 AM »
Might look at smarthome.com. They have x-10, and others powerline modem stuff that's fairly inexpensive and controllable with RS-232 and maybe other protocols.