Author Topic: Adding CompactFlash to increase memory  (Read 5950 times)

Enertyr

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Adding CompactFlash to increase memory
« on: November 12, 2005, 06:02:22 PM »
Your memory option board still doesn't provide sufficient memory capacity I require. The cost of CF and SD memory has come down significantly so is there any way a person can add a compactFlash aux boards to your controllers?  I came across this product as one example.  e.g. http://www.mikroelektronika.co.yu/english/product/tools/cf.htm

If not, are you considering adding such a package?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Adding CompactFlash to increase memory
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 05:00:43 PM »
The TLServer software (which is part of the Internet TRiLOGI software suite) allows the M-series PLC to open a file on the PC and store data to it. The allows the PLC to access to practically unlimited amount of hard disk memory.  The PLC only needs to connect to the PC via the RS232 port or even remotely via a modem.

If an XServer is used, then the PLC can open a data file on a remote PC running the TLServer software just by supplying the IP address.

There is no plan to add flash memory support at this moment. If there is sufficient demand we may port this capability to a palm pilot or Pocket PC so that the palmtop can act as a flash memory extension but with a proper file system to allow the created files to be easily passed to other PCs.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 05:21:22 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

benb2000

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 01:31:47 PM »
I for one, have 25 M series units that could use the capability to interface to a Palm or a Pocket PC for data files. How much "interest" is required to get the project started?

Enertyr

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 06:02:54 PM »
I currently use a single M series PLC so I don't have the demand to support the development.  But I see this as a unique opportunity for Tri-PLC to provide a new feature no other vendor currently offers.  

The PDA's not only offer increased memory, but the purchaser could use the product as a permanent or portable HMI unit. These hardened products incorporate the buttons and touch screens to operate controls as well as memory to leverage intelligent HMI's at a fraction of the cost. If the user wishes to purchase higher end PDA's, bluetooth and wifi are now a reality. I would consider paying for this interface software far more than the direct EXCEL applet you are currently offering.  It also eliminates the need for a server based on PC hardware installed local to the PLC.  It doesn't make sense spending $600 on a PC that is not industrial hardened to function as a data collector when the PLC is only $200.  

Who knows ... I might even consider commercializing my application if the functionality was available and I could keep the packaged costs below $500USD.