Author Topic: Multiple webservers?  (Read 5737 times)

Joel Moore

• View Profile
Multiple webservers?
« on: October 10, 2005, 11:35:42 AM »
I was surprised to find out that I can't run a second instance of TLServer so I can connect to two PLCs simultaneously.  What is the reason for preventing this?  If it's a TCP port issue couldn't it just take the next available port (9081)?

It won't matter in my application as I don't use TLServer normally but during development it's handy.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Multiple webservers?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 10:20:48 PM »
When the TLServer starts it immediately tries to open up the TCP/IP port number that is stored in the configuration file. So when you try to open a second instance of TLServer the program will crash because the TCP/IP port is already opened.

There is a way of getting around it if you really want. You can install two copies of TLserver at two different folders. Each TLServer is configured with a different port number.  You will then be able to start two instances of TLServer, one from each folder.

However, in order to connect to two different PLCs your PC  will need two working serial ports. Otherwise one instance of the TLServer must close its serial port so that the other instance of TLServer can use the same serial port.

So It really isn't convenient to have two copies of TLServer running with two serial port and two TRiLOGI program just to monitor two PLCs.

The better way is always to use an Auto485 and connect to the RS485 port of two or more  PLCs so that you can use a single TLServer to program/monitor multiple PLCs.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 10:23:03 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

Joel Moore

• View Profile
Re:Multiple webservers?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 04:44:39 AM »
Thanks.  I never thought of copying the server.

And in my case it is much more convenient to have two servers running.  The PC has an available COM port and it makes sense to use that rather than adding an $50 RS485 converter (at least at this point).  I only use TLServer for development (since Trilogi requires it) so it's no big deal using it in a non-standard way.