Author Topic: We have communication! 1 last problem  (Read 6963 times)

hubieg

We have communication! 1 last problem
« on: March 27, 2005, 11:43:57 AM »
Well, I finally got my communication problem worked out! It seems that my wiring was wrong. What I ended up having to do is wire the scanner as follows:

PLC       Scanner
 2    --       2
 3    --       3
 5    --       5
 4 --|
 6 --|

7 --|
 8 --|

Now the only problem left is that the Trilogi 5.32 feature that allows me to read the registers fails with errors about slow network performance when I try to read the variable registers. I start online monitoring and all is well but when I then click on "view" the web server fails with a pop-up window saying "bad network performance" and trilogi pops up a window saying "no response from node 1".
Any idea what I can do to solve this or is it a bug in the program?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:We have communication! 1 last problem
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 01:07:48 PM »
Are you using the same port for bar code scanner and the online monitoring via the PC? If so, then the command sent out by your PLC (meant for the bar code reader) interferes with the response the TRILOGI software expect.

The better method is to use COMM3 for online monitoring (using an Auto485 adapter ) while COMM1 is used for connection to the barcode. However, if you don't have an Auto485 adapter, then you have no choice but to use the same port to perform both online monitoring and connect to the barcode scanner (one at a time of course). But you have to use an input to selectively enable/disable the PLC from sending out data from its COMM1 port.

i.e. If the COMM1 is connected to the PC for online monitoring, then turn ON an input to disable the PLC from attemtpting to send out the data via COMM1.  When the PLC is connected to the barcode scanner, then turn OFF that input so that the PLC is now allowed to send out data to the barcode scanner via COMM1.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 01:12:18 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

hubieg

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 02:23:11 PM »
I am communicating with the scanner via comm 1. Online monitoring is occuring via comm 3 with a rs485 card in the computer.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 05:18:56 PM »
It could have been a timing issue with the RS485 card used in your PC, or it may have something to do with the PLC's software that is disabling interrupt too often. Do you use anySAVE_EEP command? If so, make sure that there is sufficient time between subsequent SAVE_EEP since this command turns off serial interrupt to the CPU and can affect the response.

You can verify if it has anything to do with your PLC program by transfering in any sample program (including a blank program) . If with other program and you still are unable to "View Variable" then the problem lies with the compatibility of your RS485 card with the PLC.  Try using the PC's RS232 via an Auto485 adapter to perform the online monitoring in this case.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS