Author Topic: Using Trilogic PLC for hydraulic motion control  (Read 9208 times)

WSteed

Using Trilogic PLC for hydraulic motion control
« on: December 28, 2002, 02:59:42 PM »
Would Trilogic PLCs be suitable for use in hydraulic motion control systems with LVDT feedback.  
What I would like to do is retrofit an existing wood lathe to feed the product into the knifes at variable rates depending on the distance from the knifes.
 Rapid feed at the start of the cut, reduced feed 60% into the cut, and slow speed for the best finish at the end of the cut.  
I have a firm grasp of the hydraulics propotional valves needed, but I am unsure if the plc will fit the application.
I would like to write a program with a motion profile to fit the application that I can monitor and change via the internet.  Has anyone accomplished anything like this using your product.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1076562000 »

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re: Using Trilogic PLC for hydraulic motion contro
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2002, 07:22:01 AM »
The M-series PLC has PWM output which can control the voltage applied to the proportional valves. If the LVDT feedback can generate 0-5V analog voltage to feedback the position to the PLC then any of the built-in 4 to 8 channels of analog inputs on the PLC is ready to accept the signal. The rest are just programming.  As long as required sampling/adjust time is not shorter then 5ms the PLC can easily handle the task.

For control via the Internet, you need to connect the PLC to a PC either via RS232/RS485 or via a modem/radio modem. The TLServer software we provide which runs on the PC will be used to provide the gateway for control via the Internet.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

WSteed

Re: Using Trilogic PLC for hydraulic motion contro
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2002, 08:23:09 AM »
Thanks for the information, I would prefer to use 0-5Vdc analogue out rather than PWM because the proportional valve accepts an analogue signal.  It is has its own closed loop using internal feedback and an onboard amplifier.  Although the PWM output would work very well on other types of proportionals.
I believe the M series supports 0-5Vdc out as well as PWM.  And yes I can get the LVDT in almost any type of output.  The 8 and 10 bit should be precise enough for this applications.  I thank you for the help and will no doubt have more questions as I proceed with this application.

Thanks,

Will