Author Topic: Nano10 Network Services via COM1  (Read 5120 times)

lberridge

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Nano10 Network Services via COM1
« on: January 26, 2011, 12:49:49 PM »
I have a Nano10 working nicely logging events and storing files
using the Ethernet connection.
In some locations where this application would fit the nearest
jack is too far away and the wiring cost makes the project too expensive to justify.
I have found a reasonable wireless link solution: RS485 to a wireless adapter to a wireless adapter to USB to a PC where TLServer could run. This is amounts to a serial link from the Nano10 to TLServer.
Will this work? I need to store files, sync time, and possibly send e-mail

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Nano10 Network Services via COM1
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 02:01:11 PM »
I believe it should work provided the radio link works transparently between the PLC and the PC running TLServer. However, note that radio modem tends to introduce delays that could be as long as several hundred milliseconds between the transmission from the PLC till it is received by the PC. So if you run into any problems, introduce some delays between packet and or wait longer for a response.

If your premises has Wi-Fi but no wired Ethernet port, you can consider connecting the PLC to a wireless bridge such as D-Link DAP1522, which allows up to 4 PLCs to be connected to the Wi Fi network.

You can even install Nano-10 or F-series PLCs in a remote location as long as there are 3G wireless internet connection by connecting the PLC to a 3G wireless router, and that allows you to do remote data logging back to a PC located somewhere else.

Some reference documents can be downloaded from:

http://www.tri-plc.com/documents/ConnectingToWifi.pdf
http://www.tri-plc.com/documents/ConnectingTo3G.pdf

ConnectingToWifi.pdf

Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS