Author Topic: Using Nano-10 as serial over Internet link  (Read 5942 times)

DiWay

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Using Nano-10 as serial over Internet link
« on: December 13, 2010, 08:37:48 PM »
Hi,

I am working on a remote robot project. Can I use two Nano-10 to create a serial link over the Internet? Can the serial link work in a transparent mode, meaning that the host dosen't have to worry about the IP protocol as if the serial link is just another normal serial connection ? If yes, how do I do that.

Thanks,
Wayne

DiWay

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re:Using Nano-10 as serial over Internet link
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 08:39:36 PM »
I guess my questions are too stupid.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 08:58:53 AM »
Nano-10 supports one client connection and up to six server connections.

You can connect two Nano-10 together via TCP/IP. Each Nano-10 can make a client connection to the other Nano-10, using merely the IP address and port number of the other Nano-10.

Using Nano-10 or F-Series you don't have to bother with any kind of TCP/IP protocol. All you need is IP address, port number, and the PRINT #4 and INPUT #4 to make a connection from one PLC to another via TCP/IP.

Two types of communication protocols over the TCP/IP are supported: Native Host Link command using the NETCMD$ command, or READMODBUS/WRITEMODBUS commands.

Once the connection is established they can exchange information using the selected protocol. Best of all, the two Nano-10 can actively talk to each other SIMULTANEOUSLY because they are communicating over two different TCP sockets. So both Nano-10 can be master and slave at the same time.

So although they don't make  transparent serial links (transparent means you can send anything you want) with each other, the communication protocol allows the two Nano-10 to exchange any information by passing them using variables. E.g. Nano-10 #1 can write to the data memory or string variable of Nano-10 #2 and vice versa.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:02:39 AM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 09:07:11 AM »
In addition, if the two Nano-10s are connected to the router, you will be able to open two i-TRiLOGI programs and connect to both Nano-10 PLC simultaneously to perform programming and online monitoring at the same time while the two Nano-10s are talking to each other. This is because each PLC supports 6 server connections, so after using up one server connection with each other, they still have 5 server connections available for use for programming, online monitoring, SCADA, and web browser viewing!

DiWay

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 01:55:33 PM »
Great info. What's the typical system latency for this kind of setup?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 06:51:08 PM »
If connected over the Internet the round trip networking "hops" delay will probably determine the latency because the processor is much faster than the network.

DiWay

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 08:54:54 PM »
Yes that makes sense. Great help. I am buying two. Thanks.