Author Topic: RS485  (Read 4841 times)

davestewart53

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
RS485
« on: November 11, 2010, 06:40:42 PM »
This may sound stupid but how do you use the USB to  RS485 device to chande the ethernet parameters to 192.168.0.1
I have connected it to the Nano 10 board switched it on and loaded all the drivers successfully on the laptop and it is active on com port 17
I have plugged it in to the laptop and it is connected via twisted pair to the nano board + and - rs485
Thats it I opened the tl6 program and gone through all the various options to connect to server etc and have no response there is absolutely no instructions with the Usb Device software so can any one give me a clue how it works as I was not born with this knowlege ???

davestewart53

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re:RS485
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:29:29 AM »
Figured out --open the tlserver 3.1 set the com port  on the drop down list then switch on the board and access the plc through the controller menu hope this help other newbies

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:RS485
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 03:00:09 PM »
We are glad you have it figured out relatively quickly.

TRiLOGI + TLServer is designed to be client-server pair and they interact by TCP/IP. Unfortunately it means it is less straightforward than a software that only connect to the PLC via serial port (such as WinTRiLOGI does with E10 and H-series PLC since it doesn't support TCP/IP networking).

The advantage of implementing the client server model is that a PLC model without Ethernet (e.g. T100MD+) can be connected to a PC running the TLServer and allows the PC to act as the TCP/IP gateway for the PLC. This allows T100MD+ PLC to be accessible from the LAN or the Internet even though it does not have Ethernet port built-in.

Since Nano-10 PLC and F-series PLC,have built-in Ethernet port and can connect directly to LAN, they can be programmed or configured directly from TRiLOGI using TCP/IP network connection without using the TLServer. However, you must know the PLC's IP address and it must be in the same subnet as the PC in order to be accessible by the TRiLOGI software.

So the alternative method of connecting to the Nano-10 PLC is via its RS485 interface and thru the TLServer software. In this case since the TLServer can be running on the same PC as the TRILOGI, its IP address is not important and TRiLOGI can connect to TLServer using the localhost IP address (127.0.0.1). TLServer relays any hostlink commands it received from the TRiLOGI software and send to the PLC via the serial interface and vice versa,;

So you can see that regardless of how the PLC is connected to the LAN (direct Ethernet or via TLServer), you use TRiLOGI exactly the same way. The difference is only the IP address. This gives a seamless interface for user of T100MD+ to migrate to the Nano-10 or the F-series PLCs.

Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS