Author Topic: Ethernet connection  (Read 12962 times)

WSteed

Ethernet connection
« on: July 07, 2010, 07:13:33 PM »
Hello again, I am trying to connect to a nano-10 plc using ethernet, I have connected to the plc using a rs-485 connection and successfully transfered the program.  But no matter what I try I cannot get a connection using the ethernet connection.

I have tried everything, connection to my wireless router via a cable, connection directly to my laptop via a cable.  I have tried numerous settings.  I have even tried to set up a new network between the plc and the computer with no success.  I have tlserver running, and have tried downloading the ethernet settings from the plc successfully.

I wouldn't be worried about connecting via ethernet except that I have a customer that wants to remotely grab data off the plc.

Does anyone have any hints or ideas, because at this point I am at a loss.

Thanks,

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Ethernet connection
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:49:19 PM »
1) What is your router's gateway IP address? i.e. 192.168.xx.yy?

2) The PLC's default IP address is 192.168.1.5 and port number for accessing the PLC is 9080. Have you changed the IP address?

3) When you plug the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on the Nano-10, do you see any of the LED on the RJ45 socket light up?

4) Did you try to ping the PLC's IP address?
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

WSteed

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 06:43:59 AM »
Thanks for the response.  Another question, can I not connect the plc directly to my laptop via the ethernet cable or do I have to go through a router?

Now to answer your questions:

1.  I don't know
2. No
3. Yes I get a yellow light constant, and an intermittent green light.
4. No, how do I do this

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 08:16:40 AM »
What brand is your router?

If it is DLink the default router IP address is 192.168.0.1

If it is Linksys then the default IP address is 192.168.1.1

You can log in to your router's admin page to check its IP address.

Alternatively, go to your PC DOS command prompt and enter:

ping 192.168.0.1

and see if there is a reply from the above address. If there is, that means your router is 192.168.0.1 and you sholud change your PLC's IP address to 192.168.0.5 and then you can try to ping it by entering the command:

ping 192.168.0.5

If there is a reply, you are all set and you can now use i-TRiLOGI to connect to the PLC via 192.168.0.5

Some the above procedure are explained in the Nano-10 User's Manual (Chapter 2) so you can refer to it for details.

WSteed

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 11:38:03 AM »
Thanks for the help, I am online with the PLC now.

Wsteed

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »
Thanks for the response.  Another question, can I not connect the plc directly to my laptop via the ethernet cable or do I have to go through a router?

Good to know you manage to connect to the PLC via the router.

Regarding your question of direct Ethernet connection, the answer is YES but you need to configure your Ethernet port to give it a static IP address with the same subnet. E.g. if you configure your Ethernet port to 192.168.0.10 while your PLC IP address is 192.168.0.5, then you can connect via the Ethernet port. However, on some PC doing so may cause problem to your wireless connection because your PC may think that the connection to the Nano-10 is an alternative path to another router and therefore attempts to send IP packets through Nano-10 instead of through the "real" router.  So although it is possible to do direct Ethernet connection it may cause problems to the real internet connection.

It is also possible to connect the Nano-10 to Wi-Fi network if pulling Ethernet cable to your router is not convenient. This is done via an Ethernet bridge. One product we tested to work very well is the DLink DAP-1522. You can connect up to 4 PLCs (Nano-10 or F-series, or T100MD+ with XServer) to it and all 4 PLCs become accessible via Wi-Fi link to your router. (Of course each PLC must be configured with a different IP address but on the same subnet).

data recovery

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »
Hi,
I go through your post. I want to share something.  An Ethernet port looks much like a regular phone jack but it is slightly wider. This port can be used to connect your computer to another computer, a local network or an external DSL or cable modem.
Thanks for sharing
Addie
File recovery services