Author Topic: Warning: No Response from PLC  (Read 13957 times)

johnhoneck

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Warning: No Response from PLC
« on: October 02, 2008, 05:45:36 PM »
Hello,

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but I cannot get the PLC to communicate with my computers.  I've tried it with the regular cable and using the USB Serial converter.  With the standard cable I only have COM1 available as an option.  With the USB I get COM1 and COM3.

I've changed the Baud Rate down to 9600 on all ports.  Changed it back to 38400.  Flipped the dip switch #4 to on, powered back up, changed it to 9600 and still get the same error.  

I don't have anything loaded on the PLC as it's never communicated with the computer.  I've tried it on an XP and win2000 machine.  PLC is a T100MD888+.

Power Supply is EGS Sola/Hevi-Duty Linear DC power supply SLS-24-024T, with 24 V output.  - is connected to the - on PLC and to the 10A ground.

During normal power up all three lights on the right power up, then the bottom two turn off and the top green one stays on.  With Dip#4 ON the 2nd red light is on.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Warning: No Response from PLC
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:31:37 PM »
Which program version are you running? Is the TLServer running? Did you try to enter the "IR*" on the "Command String field in the "Serial Communication Setup" screen?  
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

johnhoneck

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 08:45:29 PM »
Hello, thank you for the reply.

TL Version 3.1
TriLOGI Version 6.14

Yes the TLServer is running.

Yes, I've done the IR* command, here's a cut-n-paste of that:

COM1 opened at: 38400bps.
   (Warning: No Response from PLC !)
COM1 opened at: 9600bps.
IR*

At 38400 I get the warning, at 9600 it just sits there without a response at all.

When trying to access it through TriLOGI it keeps asking me to enter the PLC's ID, which when I click the Detect ID button, it waits a while then says:

PLC responds incorrectly to HostLink Commands
1. Check if TLServers Com port is working
2. Pause the PLC if it sends data out of the com port.

Not sure I do #1, other than I know the PC's port is working because I use the same port to hook up to the touch screen with no problem.

Thanks for your attention.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 01:09:22 AM »
Are you using a desktop computer with a built-in serial port (COM1)?

Not sure if it is a misprint:

IR*

Did you actually get a "IR*" in the response box?

You mentioned a USB-to-RS232 converter that occupies COM3. Was the USB-to-RS232 converter the one that we supplied?

Since you are not using Windows Vista, try to install the software from the CD-ROM which should be TRiLOGI version 6.13 and TLServer 3.01. The TLServer 3.1 was just recently released to tackle a comm problem that is unique to Windows Vista. Although we tested TLServer 3.1 with our Windows XP computer without any issue but it is hard to know if it would always work with every PCs out there.

However, we do know that TLServer 3.01 works very well on Windows XP and Windows 2000 and you may want to give that a try first. If all else fails there could be a comm port problem with this particular PLC and you can contact the sales person to request for an RMA # and get a replacement unit.

johnhoneck

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 01:35:23 AM »
I'm using two desktops with serial ports, one with XP and one with 2K.  I bought the USB-RS232 from you and tried that in case it was a serial port issue on the computer, that doesn't seem to be the isssue as it communicates with the HMI without incident.

I unstalled 6.14 and 3.1 and reinstalled 6.13 and 3.01 with the same results.

Yes the IR* is in the response box, just sits there  ***sometimes*** other times I get the warning message.

When I use the USB I don't get IR* in the response box, only the warnings, here's a cut-n-paste of me trying IR* in the command line under the different ports and baud rates:

(Please close port before changing any parameters)
COM3 opened at: 38400bps.
COM3 opened at: 9600bps.

If there is some sort of test I can perform I will, otherwise how doe I contact this sales person?  I'd imagine I should reference this thread.

Thank you.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 10:12:48 AM »
We will get the sales person to call you today since we have your contact information in our system.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 10:24:07 AM »
It seems like the only thing you have not tried is with a different power supply. There were cases where a bad switching power supply could disrupt communication. Do you happen to have any other power supply you can try? Even a small 12V wall-wart would work as long as it is not driving any large current load).

Also could it be the DB9 cable is faulty? If you happen to have a standard straight through RS232 cable (actually only 2-2, 3-3 and 5-5 connection) you can try it too.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:27:48 AM by support »

johnhoneck

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 10:28:59 AM »
Thank you, I will try that.  Nothing is hooked up to the PLC right now as I wanted to take externals out of the equation.

johnhoneck

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »
Ok, I tried a new power supply, this time at 15vDC so I didn't need to add the jumper for 12 v.

Same result, "(Warning: No Response from PLC !)"

johnhoneck

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 02:01:16 PM »
I must add for the benefit of anyone else reading this that technical support contacted me by phone and email and we are working on a solution.  I will update the forum when I've figured out what I'm doing wrong.

So far I've been very pleased with the technical support, response, and knowledge of the product that Triangle has provided.  With anything like this a few technical glitches are to be expected, but it's the support after the sale that makes all the difference.