Author Topic: Excel Link Functionality  (Read 5881 times)

Tim Chavis

Excel Link Functionality
« on: July 04, 2003, 12:59:20 PM »
Is their a demo version of excel link, I purchased a T100M+888 from you, and would like to take advantage
of the tl server. Currently I've written my own HMI in vb6 to interface with the plc, but if i want to impliment the plc on a different process. the entire HMI would have to be rewritten. Useing a dde server would be alot easier.
Alot of it could be linked directly.
Question #2
Does Excel link simply link the 16 bit words to excell or
does it give you the ability to write a single relay, without writting the entire word (one relay per cell in excel) I can see where the data memory would be (one word per cell), as you can see alot of questions come up! An evaluation copy would be very helpfull!
Thank's       Tim Chavis

PS. TL server should try to dial up the defalt connection to the internet if not connected already.  What do          you think about that, would be really helpfull in remote
locations.  Thanks Again
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1076562000 »

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re: Excel Link Functionality
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 09:02:59 AM »
There isn't a demo version of ExcelLink yet.  The ExcelLink is actually not a DDE server per se. It is actually both a client to the Excel's DDE and a client to TLServer. Based on the setup file that the user configure, it will automaticallly takes data from the PLC and put into the MS-Excel and vice versa.

ExcelLink only access the PLC data as words or strings. You need to write your own Excel Macro to extract the on/off state of individual bits.

If you want to take advantage of the TLServer, the best way is to use a Java API library that we provide. You can then write your own program in Java either as an application or as an applet. The advantage is that you can access the PLC from anywhere with a network connection to the TLServer.

P/S: TLServer was written to run on a PC that is already networked. Corporate users normally don't welcome a program that automatically dials and connect itself to the internet without user intervention as it compromises the company's security policy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1076562000 »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS