Author Topic: HMI multilevel menus  (Read 8983 times)

cch1955

• Automated Machine Systems Designer
    • View Profile
HMI multilevel menus
« on: October 06, 2006, 01:59:59 PM »
Do you have an example of coding that impliments menus having several levels deep? For example on the main display F1 initiates a move to another display and  function key assignment wher F1 initates a different action based on the menu. I can see that it could be done in ladder, basic or a comination with flags to keep track of what level you are at in the menus.

Dogface

• Woof$
    • View Profile
Re:HMI multilevel menus
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 01:22:10 AM »
The programming you are asking about would be 100% dependent on the model and program capabilities of your specific HMI.  If you wanted different sections of code to run on the PLC, based on the page you are viewing, you could use ILOCK and ILOFF functions triggered by a "bit-on when page opens" function.  Again, dependent on the HMI you are using.

If you like, I can send you a copy of the program for a Maple Systems touch screen that I'm currently using.  E-Mail me if you would like to see it.

Dogface

cch1955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 07:52:13 AM »
I have been experimenting with a similar idea, but hadnt thought of the lock function, I will have to look into that further. I am using the Tri-PLC MD-HMI for the dispay and entry panel. I would like to see the code example for the Maple systems if you dont mind. It never hurts to see how others approach a problem. My email is k7xdx@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Chris

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 04:17:54 PM »
With MD-HMI, it will be quite different from what Maple System type HMI do regarding menu. For MD-HMI there is no built-in program so the display is 100% controlled by the PLC. You can use a sequencer to keep track of which step of the menu you are at and then display the display text corresponding to that step. You use the [AVSeq] or [STEPN] function to change the current step of the sequence, and the contact of the sequencer used to trigger function that display the text at this level.

The text can either be hardcoded into the program, or you can store them into the EEPROM as string and then the custom function can call up the string using the LOAD_EEP$ for display.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

cch1955

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 09:00:25 AM »
Thank you for your targeted input on this issue. I have implemented some basic menus to achieve functionality for my product. I will look at using the sequencer for this solution as suggested. I will provide you a copy of the menu software so you may use it as a framework to improve upon so you may provide it to others using the MD-HMI product since multilevel menus are a common requirement with a limited display size and 4 function keys. I appreciate your assistance.
 8)

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 10:47:32 PM »
We appreciate your offer to provide a sample of multi level menu with MD-HMI or LCD display. I am sure otherusers will appreciate that too. We will post your sample at our application page with acknowledgement of your contribution.

Joel Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 12:42:43 PM »
The text can either be hardcoded into the program, or you can store them into the EEPROM as string and then the custom function can call up the string using the LOAD_EEP$ for display.
Hmm.  This is a good bit of advice.  One of our applications uses a fairly complex multi-level menu with the MD-HMI and in its current state we're nearly out of programming space.  Moving much of the text to the EEPROM would probably help alot.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 05:50:42 PM »
TRiLOGI version 6.1 now features an EEPROM manager which allows you to transfer a PC data file that define the values of EEPROM string into the PLC. This way you can populate the EEPROM strings directly from TRiLOGI environment.