Author Topic: Trilogi under Linux  (Read 7895 times)

E Mata

Trilogi under Linux
« on: September 08, 2003, 01:19:47 PM »
Has anyone out there been able to get Trilogi to work (properly) under Linux?  I am running RedHat Linux 9 on my home computer and would like to be able to use Trilogi without having to reboot into Windows 98.  This is a java based program, so shouldn't it be able to run on different platforms?  I was able to get the program running, but when I try to edit a label, the window it opens goes crazy like it is constantly trying to resize itself.  If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.   ???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1076562000 »

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re: Trilogi under Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 11:41:34 AM »
Unfortunately, the promise of Java being a "Write once, run everywhere" is still not a reality. We have tested the java program on red hat linux and face similar problem. Testing the java on other linux platform or different JVM version produce different set of problems. So in order to make the program works in most Linux platform there is too much re-development work to justify the expense since there is still only a very small number of users wanting to use linux with TRiLOGI.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1076562000 »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

corley

• View Profile
Re:Trilogi under Linux
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 07:37:31 AM »
We are doing quite a bit of development using php under Linux. Have you checked that? PHP is an excellent development environment and you should be able to do almost everything you need with it.

-Cor

Has anyone out there been able to get Trilogi to work (properly) under Linux? ?I am running RedHat Linux 9 on my home computer and would like to be able to use Trilogi without having to reboot into Windows 98. ?This is a java based program, so shouldn't it be able to run on different platforms? ?I was able to get the program running, but when I try to edit a label, the window it opens goes crazy like it is constantly trying to resize itself. ?If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. ? ???

Joel Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 02:27:50 PM »
PHP is for website development.  I can't imagine how it could be used to replace Java in an application as complex as Trilogi.

How about opening the source code, Triangle?   8)

After all, your bread and butter is the hardware.  And your customers would be provided with an opportunity to try to get in running in Linux (or wherever else they wanted).

corley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 09:32:26 PM »
Although I would agree with you to see the source code opened..

No one said anyting about replacing java. It has it's place.. but as far as interfacing, and providing user i/o, data collection, enterprise data sharing etc.. php works quite nicely.

PHP is for website development.  I can't imagine how it could be used to replace Java in an application as complex as Trilogi.

How about opening the source code, Triangle?   8)

After all, your bread and butter is the hardware.  And your customers would be provided with an opportunity to try to get in running in Linux (or wherever else they wanted).

Joel Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 01:57:57 PM »
I certainly agree that PHP would serve as a great HMI for interacting with a TriPLC application but the original poster was trying to run Trilogi under Linux.  Implementing everything Trilogi does (compilation, debugging, monitoring, emulation) would be impractical (if not impossible) to do in PHP.

corley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 07:06:37 AM »
oh ya i see. I missed the point there.  ;)

I certainly agree that PHP would serve as a great HMI for interacting with a TriPLC application but the original poster was trying to run Trilogi under Linux.  Implementing everything Trilogi does (compilation, debugging, monitoring, emulation) would be impractical (if not impossible) to do in PHP.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 07:30:18 PM »
A number of users who wanted to use Linux cited the reason that Linux is more stable O/S than Windows to run the TLServer for continuous operation.  We hope the soon to be released Ethernet XServer will be an even better solution than using Linux based PC to run the TLServer, since the XServer board is supposed to replace both the PC and the TLServer with a foot print  of less than 2" x 3".

Supporting TLServer under non Windows platform has proven to be a more challenging task than the supporting the TRiLOGI client, due to the need to interface to the native serial I/O driver in order for the TLServer to communicate with the PLC. There just wasn't sufficient demand to justify supporting the Linux platform given the extremely low selling price of the TRiLOGI software.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS