Author Topic: Help for a beginner  (Read 13201 times)

XelreD

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Help for a beginner
« on: May 17, 2005, 04:04:13 PM »
Hi there folks.

I'm just starting with PLCs in a small course I've inscribed myself. I have two major doubts.

- Is there any software capable of simulate a ladder program working without a PLC connected? I don't have access to a PLC and a program like that would be handy. Is there anything for PPC?

- When designing a ladder program, does it have to be by trial and error or is there any technique that can be used to get us to the program? I think there is some kind of method for pneumatic circuits... I think it is called ?Karnaugh diagram? or something?If so where can I learn more about such a method?

Thanks

Rheinhardt

Re:Help for a beginner
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 06:18:10 AM »
Answer 1 : The software package that you have for the  PLC propably has a simulator that you can either find on the Internet if you lucky or from the supplier.

Answer 2 : There are no such thing as a method of programming, companies do generate standards to assist the maintenance crews on a break down, PLC language is logical, there are alot of different ways to write code that does the same thing.

They use standard function blocks that perform certain tasks for certain equipment

Whats important is to write your code in an understandable and structured way. As you become more experienced you will find good and not so good ways of doing things.

Good luck

PS the Karnaugh method is used for logical eqautions in digital systems using gate inputs, it will assist you using gate logic but i have never touched one in my 4 years in PLC's

castlerock

• geek
    • View Profile
Re:Help for a beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 06:35:01 PM »
I'm just starting with PLCs in a small course I've inscribed myself. I have two major doubts.

- Is there any software capable of simulate a ladder program working without a PLC connected? I don't have access to a PLC and a program like that would be handy. Is there anything for PPC?

You can find a really good PLC simulator at http://www.thelearningpit.com/ called LogixPro.  It simulates the RS Logix software for Allen Bradleys PLC/5 and SLC 500.  It has simulations like a door opener and silo simulator, etc.  Thes sims have motor switches, limit switches, photo sensors, etc with I/O addresses.  You program the ladder logic to make the simulations work.  

Highly Recommended.
Linux : because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.