Author Topic: Gathering Data from Manufacturing line.  (Read 9286 times)

MayanArch

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Gathering Data from Manufacturing line.
« on: October 06, 2004, 05:30:43 PM »
I would like to use Tri-PLC M-Series PLCs to gather, record, and report data from a manufacturing line.

I want to report in real time the speed, unit count, and cycles of the manufacturing line.  I would use micro-switches, proximity switches, and digital tachometers to feed information into the PLC.  I would like to use all digital counters in order to reduce the amount of data that the PLC will have to gather and record.

Has anyone ever done this?

Recommendations please..... ???

AlbertMartinez

• PLC-SCADA Engineering Consultant
    • View Profile
Re:Gathering Data from Manufacturing line.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 08:29:28 AM »
What is the speed (RPM) and how many pulses per revolution your tachometer is going to generate?

What is the maximum Unit-Count per second?

What is the maximum cycles per second of manufacturing line?

If any of the previous frequencies is less than 100Hz, you can use regular Tri-PLC inputs triggering regular internal PLC counters and timers.

If any of the previous frequencies is greater than 100Hz but less than 10Khz, you can use both Tri-PLC High Speed Counter inputs to automatically monitor count and Frequency/Speed. Of Course, you can always use the two High Speed Counters if frequency is less than 100Hz. Keep in mind that there are only two High Speed Counters available on a Tri-PLC.

Collecting and displaying this data real time is not a problem. Storing the data in the PLC depends on the different type of data and how often you store these data. There are approximatly 4000 16-bits DM[] registers available for storage in PLC. If you are doing only end-of-day data storage, the PLC internal DM[] registers can handle that. If you have to do massive data storage, you can connect the PLC to a PC. The PC could store the data in hard drive or cd so now you have a unlimited amount of storage space.

If you need technical help designing your PLC based system, please let me know. I am a PLC Systems Integrator already helping many Inventors currently using Tri-PLC's.

Sincerely;

Albert Martinez
PLC Systems Integrator
martinezalbert@netzero.com
Albert Martinez
Instrumentation & Controls Systems Integrator
50 La Cruz Avenue, Benicia, California 94510
almaralbertmartinez@gmail.com