Author Topic: Linux please  (Read 7123 times)

Chuck

Linux please
« on: May 08, 2004, 07:46:32 AM »
I just downloaded TRiLOGI demo and the PDF manual, and discovered that this program is written in Java, and that it is not ported to Linux.  This is unfortunate in that I was hoping to develope a Java based data logging and display applet/app to run on a low cost PC system running Linux.  Many older PCs, unable to run heavy weight (and expensive) Windows OSs, would be very servicable running a lighter weight and inexpensive (or free) Linux OS and provide an excellent solution for a small scale data logging display unit.  Can I plead and encourage the TRiLOGI developers to port to Linux?  Thanks, Chuck.

Joel Moore

• View Profile
Re:Linux please
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 01:45:04 PM »
In case you didn't know Trilogi is only the development software.  Once you've designed your application you don't need Trilogi anymore unless you want to debug and/or update.  While this means you still need at least one Windows PC at least the final installation won't require one.

Anything with a serial port can communicate with the T100 PLCs.  There are several protocols to choose from and if you're so inclined I'm sure you could even develop your own.  

Chuck

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 08:46:17 PM »
Joel, yes you are right.  I found several open source MODBUS/Java projects in addition to many proprietary ones.  Still it would be nice to have TRiLOGI and the server runable on a lean mean LINUX box.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 09:47:48 AM »
We have tried but unfortunately there are many compatibilities issues from one platform to another and from one JVM to another. Java promise of write once, run anywhere is not quite realized for complex program like TRiLOGI unless you tweak and develop for each platform.

Even on Windows PC, moving from JRE 1.3.1 to JRE 1.4 bring some incompatibility and  we received feed back that TRiLOGI could not run properly when tested on JRE 1.5 on a Windows PC. In addition, there are many different Linux platforms, so to claim the TRiLOGI can work on Linux will give up a potential support nightmare when you compute the combination of different linux and different JRE versions.

With the introduction of XServer, there is even less reason to introduce a linux solution since XServer will provide a low cost, standalone platform to connect the PLC to the Ethernet network all in the space less than that of a small pack of cigarette.  Before XServer there were calls for Linux support of TLServer so that an old PC can be used as Internet gateway for the M-series PLC, but the Xserver will eliminate that requirement. An old PC running Linux still draws maybe a 100W when idling!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 10:18:26 AM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

Chuck

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 11:09:26 AM »
Thankyou, Support,  for taking the time to give an informative response.