Author Topic: Using the PLC to control a bus...  (Read 29471 times)

drodio

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Using the PLC to control a bus...
« on: March 05, 2004, 11:40:57 PM »
Here is a project I need some help on:

I have a motorcoach I'm converting into a home (you can view pics at www.WonderlandBus.com).

I want to use a PLC to control many functions of the bus.  For example, I want to be able to press a button on a touchscreen and have the door to the bus open.

I have been planning on using the T100MD888+ PLC (any comments on that choice?) because my tech guy is familiar with ladder logic and that PLC seems easy for him to program in ladder logic.

From what I see, Tri-Logic's PLC can interact with the touchscreen via a java applet.  Has anyone done this?  I don't really understand exactly how to hook the PLC into the touchscreen using java.  Ideally the applet would be running on the touchscreen, and when a button is pressed on the applet, it would send some sort of signal to the Tri-Logic to run the ladder logic necessary to open the door.

Am i going in the right general direction with this?  Does anyone have any comments?  I could really use some guidance.  - DROdio.

Will Steed

Re:Using the PLC to control a bus...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 06:09:17 PM »
Interesting project, take a look at the following webpage.
http://www.dcitech.com/coach/default.htm

Its from a Triangle Research dealer in Calgary Alberta Canada.  They are using these PLC in automation functions on Bus Conversions.

You should find it interesting.

Will Steed

Fernandz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 09:17:33 PM »
Well I'll give you my opinion I purchased a T100MD888 to teach myself more about PLC's. I found this PLC to be just a VERY powerful for the price. The best part for me is the Custom Function very very powerful. I plan on my PLC controlling my Air-conditioning system Via room sensors and my hot water boiler Via outdoor air reset. In short the Ladder + Basic make this a very POWERFULL PLC. Thats just my opinion

corley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 09:23:53 PM »
This is exactly the type of thing I am doing ;) Ya.. I love the plc it's got some nice features. I think it will do just about anything you need.

Well I'll give you my opinion I purchased a T100MD888 to teach myself more about PLC's. I found this PLC to be just a VERY powerful for the price. The best part for me is the Custom Function very very powerful. I plan on my PLC controlling my Air-conditioning system Via room sensors and my hot water boiler Via outdoor air reset. In short the Ladder + Basic make this a very POWERFULL PLC. Thats just my opinion

Chris Johnson

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 11:36:04 AM »
I have had good luck using Automation Direct touch screens.  Their touch screens will work via either com port on the 888.  No java required.
CJ