Author Topic: industrial computer for tlserver and excel link  (Read 5690 times)

jonsoderberg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
industrial computer for tlserver and excel link
« on: February 13, 2004, 11:01:41 AM »
Dear support
  Im looking for an industrial computer that can be used as the tlserver and run the excel link programs. The location will be outside in an electrical cabinet in varying weather conditions. Id like a computer as simple as possible, rugged, and requires as little maintenance as possible. I have been researching single board computers but I decided that you guys would have the answers. Do you reccomended or know of any companies that have a cost effective computer that can integrate well with your plcs and meets my requirements??

Thanks
Jon Soderberg

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:industrial computer for tlserver and excel link
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 03:56:48 PM »
Do you need to run the Excel Spreadsheet on the same computer? If so then you will need a Windows based PC. Some PC104 solution may be what you are looking for. There are many manufacturers of PC-104 based computers complete with housing etc.

If what you need is just a computer that run the TLserver so that you can use an ExcelLink from another computer to access the data via the network, then the upcoming Ethernet Xserver that we plan to introduce in April/May this year will be able to do the job without the PC. It will be a board less than 2" x 3" and can be used in place of a PC with TLServer.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

jonsoderberg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 07:49:25 AM »
Support
  Im trying to log data on operating parameters from the plcs ie voltage, amps, vibration, meterological data etc. Its my understanding that the individual plcs do not have much memory storage capabilities hence the excel link. Will the new xserver be internet capable?? Can it log data to the computer running the excel link over a modem or through the internet.  Will it offer any other capablities??

Thanks

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 11:00:08 AM »
The Ethernet Xserver does not let the PLC save data to the file since it does not have a file system. However, its purpose is to replace the TLServer for networking purpose. So you will be able to use the ExcelLink to collect data from the PLC via your PC as long as both the PC and the Ethernet server are connected to the same network or the Internet.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS