Author Topic: Nano10 MCU chip temperature  (Read 5427 times)

gxmpersonal@gmail.com

• View Profile
Nano10 MCU chip temperature
« on: February 27, 2022, 12:09:48 PM »
Now that I have gotten my Nano10 up and running, it has been powered for a week straight and working great. I noticed the main chip seems very hot.

I have not measured the exact temp yet, but I can't keep my finger on the chip, I would estimate it must be at least 130F. Is this normal? What is the safe operating temp?

I had a few copper ram heat sinks, so I put one on the MCU chip. The sticker did not come off easily, so I left most of it on. I know it is not the best thermal interface, but with copper heat sink is getting very hot, so it is pulling heat out of the chip. I think it dropped the temp a fair bit, but it is still over 110F. I will try and get a real temp measurement soon. I have it inside of a plastic enclosure, of about 50 cubic inches. The air inside does not seem warm when I open the lid, and I left the box open for a while, and it did not seem to lower the chip temp. Should I add vent holes and/or a fan to move air past the board?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re: Nano10 MCU chip temperature
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 04:09:55 PM »
The Nano-10 CPU can get quite warm due to the integrated Ethernet PHY on the main CPU. It is however well within the chip's operating temperature range and has never become an issue for all the applications that it has been used in so far. If the control panel that contains the Nano-10 is very tight air space and completely sealed then adding a heat sink or a fan would certainly lower the temperature a bit.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS