Author Topic: great suggestions for the Define table  (Read 7115 times)

cch1955

• Automated Machine Systems Designer
    • View Profile
great suggestions for the Define table
« on: July 16, 2015, 09:08:15 AM »
The define table is a great tool!

I think a couple of additions would really be helpful:

Color coded variable names. If I define a variable name as an Integer it would be  a different color in the custom function than if I defined it as a floating point. I think this could help with declaration issues in coding.

Add a column in the define table to the far right COMMENTS. It would allow you to add notes associated with that variable.

In the simulator it would be great to show the variable name (possibly truncated to just the first 5 characters?)

Just a couple more ideas for the I/O table pull down menu:

Add a comment field to the right of all of the I/O fields so you could add notes concerning that I/O item.

Add two more I/O sections for the analog inputs and outputs. Having them in the I/O list would keep it all in one place.

Appreciate all the work you guys do to make this tool so versatile and easy to use.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 09:39:32 AM by cch1955 »

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:great suggestions for the Define table
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 07:15:27 PM »
Thank you very much for the suggestions. They are all good. We will send to the software development team for consideration for future versions.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:41:48 PM »
New versions of i-TRiLOGI (6.50, 7.10) and TLServer 3.20 have been released as beta for testing.
There is auto_complete,  mouse over tips etc.  

Please visit the following thread for a quick glance of the new features:

http://www.triplc.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=2176&start=0
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:00:23 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

Lorne Van Dusen

• I'm a old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 08:36:49 AM »
I was looking over questions posted in the Forum and came across this post.
As a long time PLC user I found that it was a little frustrating that the Define Table did not have a column to allow for a description as most PLC software always allows for a description in their Symbolic File.
This would be a great feature for TriPlc to add to their software.
In the mean time I exported the file into Excel and made a column where I added the descriptions and keep the printout close by when working on the program.  

garysdickinson

• Old PLC Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 10:29:04 AM »
There is a simple trick that you can use to get the "idea" of comments into the #Define mechanism.

In the "Label Name" column use a label that is prefaced by two underscore characters, "__".  This character pattern is not, typically, used in TBASIC so it will not be an issue.  

You can then either leave the "Variable" column blank or you can enter more information into this field to add to your comment.

The attached jpg is shows how I use the "__" trick to remind me of the purpose of the #Defines.

My wish for the #Defines is to extend the idea to allow parameterized macros and to allow a macro to reference an existing macro.  The "C" pre-processor supported these behaviors.

Best regards,

Gary D*ckinson
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:34:24 AM by garysdickinson »