Author Topic: Smart tile to touchscreen  (Read 5905 times)

dave333

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Smart tile to touchscreen
« on: March 18, 2016, 07:08:57 AM »
I'm looking at using aSmart Tile in our control circuitry but need help in communicating with
an HMI, particularly a touchscreen.  Is there a resource available that can help me with this?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Smart tile to touchscreen
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 09:00:46 AM »
Does the HMI use a serial or Ethernet connection?

If it is Ethernet, then you simply connect it to the SmartTILEs RJ45 port and select the Modbus TCP protocol on the HMI. The HMI will be the master, so there is nothing to configure on the SmartTILE side other than the IP address and other necessary network settings. If you are planning to use one of our KEP brand HMIs, then you can also use our native Hostlink protocol via TCP/IP.

If the connection will be via serial port, then you only need to design the appropriate circuitry to convert the SmartTILEs UART into the serial interface type used by the HMI (RS485 or RS232). We have a SmartTILE design guide that provides such circuit examples. If you have purchased a SmartTILE development kit or Fx PLC, then you can write to support@triplc.com with proof of purchase (invoice or payment receipt) and request a copy of the design guide. The communication protocol can be Modbus RTU or ASCII and the HMI is the master, so nothing needs to be configured in the PLC. The KEP HMIs also support our native Hostlink protocol over serial connection.

Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS