Author Topic: MT8050i HMI ethernet  (Read 12226 times)

cch1955

• Automated Machine Systems Designer
    • View Profile
MT8050i HMI ethernet
« on: September 17, 2015, 08:40:16 AM »
I'm using Fx2424 connected to MT8050i HMI via Ethernet through a small switch used only between the two devices and my programming PC. In my application the display works well and is only used as a display of information, no input.

The issue I have s that occasionally the display pops up a window that says "PLC no response" which displays for a couple of seconds then disappears. I assume this is happening because the PLC does not respond to the HMI requests for updates in a timely manner and the HMI times out showing the error message.  

Where would I change a setting to allow more time before this message displays? I've looked in the HMI application and don't see anything, possibly this is in the OEM driver for your PLC?

garysdickinson

• Old PLC Coder
    • View Profile
Re:MT8050i HMI ethernet
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »
I have experienced the same timeout issues.

If you are using the MODBUS TCP/IP driver for the PLC there is a menu button "Settings..." that takes you to the "IP Address Settings" window and there is a "Timeout (sec): " pull down menu to set the TCP/IP timeout.  I'd try changing this to 3 seconds.

If you are using the TRI_FX driver for the PLC there is the same "Setting..." menu.

If you are using the TRI_FX driver and need to access DM32[] you should download the most recent version of EasyBuilder Pro V5.02.01 Build 2015.08.06 from KEP at:

http://brian.kep.com/EBproV50201_20150806.zip

This version includes a fixed driver for the Fx series PLC.  If you switch to an FMD series PLC and need access to DM32[] the driver has not been fixed and I suggest that you use Modbus TCP/IP or Modbus RTU as these drivers have the option of fixing the word order when accessing multiple DM[] registers to get the full 32-bits of a single DM32[].

Because of the timeout issues with the communication between the HMI and PLC, I decided to only use the TCP/IP drivers for debug.  For production I run a serial cable between the HMI and PLC and switch the driver interface back to RS232 or RS485 and have no problems with timeouts or lost data.

Gary D*ickinson

cch1955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 12:57:12 PM »
Great stuff Gary !!!

I will go at it in a bit and see if I can resolve it.

I trust Triangle will be issuing an update that outlines how to resolve any of these issues and where to down load the files from etc.

Appreciate the quick response I'm in the 11th hour plus of a big project so wan to get this off my punch list.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 01:58:08 PM »
Generally speaking there shouldn't be any communication errors, but the connection type can have an effect. If WiFi is used at any point or packets are routed through multiple stages of switches/routers, then com delays or packet losses can occur.

We are not aware of any communication issues on the latest TRI_FX protocol. You can write to support@triplc.com to obtain the latest version.

The timeout options that Gary mentioned should work well.

Another option is to disable the PLC No Response window from popping up by writing a '1' to system register LB 11960 from the table in chapter 22.27 of the EBPro user manual. This should be a last resort because you won't be able to tell if communication was lost for a different reason

weintekhmi.com/UM/EBpro/EBPro_All_In_One.pdf

You can also send us your PLC and HMI programs for testing if you continue to experience the issue (write to support@triplc.com)
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

cch1955

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 08:21:02 AM »
I made sure the software was updated and checked settings and was still having issue. I used a small 5 port netgear switch for my machine network. I swapped cables to make sure I didn't have a cable issue and moved them around  on the machine to make sure I wasn't getting RFi from switchers or A servo drives, still not change.

I swapped the netgear switch for a different switch (an old net gear switch) and the problem went away.

Not sure if the problem is netgear or TFx2424 or the MT8050i. I contacted KEP on the problem and they said the MT8050i is an older product and that the driver could be causing the problem.

So I have a workaround for now.

Is the MT8050 current or do you have plans to switch to a more current model?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 04:17:31 PM »
If you change the switch and the problem went away then it probably has nothing to do with the driver. It is more likely networking related issue.

Was the MT8050 and the PLC on the same subnet? If they are not then you may not be able to communicate properly.

Was the MT8050 IP address set by the DHCP?  If so, then your last router may have assigned it to an IP address which is on a different subnet from that of the PLC. E.g. if the MT8050i assume an IP address of 192.168.0.xxx   (some router such as D-Link use this address range by default)  while the PLC's IP address is 192.168.1.yyy, and if the subnet mask is 255.255.255.1 then the two will not communicate.

Also if  your PC is on the same subnet as the PLC and the MT8050 then you should be able to use your PC to ping the PLC and the MT8050. Once you can ping both devices they should then have no problem communicating with each other.

rjd1234

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 01:57:53 PM »
Not sure if you were able to get a resolution on this already.

I was getting the same issue and then got the new driver from KEP and that did the trick.

The driver that Gary Dickenson mentioned was from 8-6-15, but there has actually a newer version.  Not sure the build date, but I'm using V.1.03.

Not sure if that will make a difference... I think they may have updated some of the FP[] mapping.

cch1955

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »
I continue using the switch that works (Belkin). I would like to use the Netgear.

PC is 192.168.1.1
  PLC 192.168.1.5
HMI 192.168.1.2

No DHCP

All have subnet setting of 255.255.255.0

The switch is an unmanaged Netgear FS -105 switch that has no firmware settings.

No WiFi links. All short unshielded Ethernet CAT 5 cables .

Easybuider Pro 5.02.01 Build 2015.08.06

HMI driver 1.03,TRIFX.e30

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 08:25:13 AM »
Hi there,

We have consulted our technical partner at Kessler Ellis Products. (KEP) regarding the reported issues, and the following is the answer:

"We recently updated the driver to V1.03 to resolve a Floating Point (FP data type) issue that was created when we added the DM32 data type. Previous versions have the "PLC no response error" when accessing FP data.

The prior TRI_PLC driver is susceptible to PLC no response errors depending on the network switch. However RS232 or RS485 always tested out as good and without problems. "

The latest version of the TRI_FX driver (currently at version 1.03) may be downloaded from the following website  Note: This driver is provided and copyrighted by Kessler Ellis Products and is only to be used on  the MMIs sold by KEP or Triangle Research International.

http://www.tri-plc.com/download/TRI_FX.ZIP

Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:25:48 AM by support »

cch1955

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 11:26:09 AM »
I updated the driver to V1.03 as suggested (I had this already installed but downloaded it again) and followed the rest of the instructions which were well documented  - thanks!

I downloaded to the HMI.
I put the Netgear FS-105 switch back in the machine.

Same problem, PLC no response flashes on the screen.

The PLC no response appears roughly every 10 to 20 seconds and updating halts on the screen. The HMI hangs for say 5 seconds, then starts updating again. In another 10-20 seconds the hang repeats. The TRI PLC is not stopped and continues to operate and scan as normal.

If I swap out the switch, the problem is gone.

I've ordered another switch which I hope will be a work around with the issue.

cch1955

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 03:45:18 PM »
Ethernet switch update

I installed the new Automation Direct industrial switch (link below):
 http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Communications/Ethernet/Ethernet_Switches/Unmanaged_Ethernet_Switches/SE-SW5U

No other changes. "PLC no response" error messages no longer appear on the HMI

I suspect some sensitivity on the Ethernet between the MT8050iE HMI and the Fx2424 PLC which the change in switches resolved.
With the NetGear FT-105 I always had the problem, so it could be at fault possibly.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 12:25:06 PM »
In our facility we have other types of routers and switches and they seem to work just fine. In order to test why it doesn't work with some brand of switch/router that model will need to be dispatched to HMI factory for testing.  We may look into this some time later when we have the opportunity,