Author Topic: TL7 Editor copy paste bug in floating point  (Read 6574 times)

cch1955

• Automated Machine Systems Designer
    • View Profile
TL7 Editor copy paste bug in floating point
« on: December 08, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »
When editing a custom function I have this behavior which is new to me:

If I highlight a section of code that begins with a floating point variable (Example: G#_REEL_WIDTH = 4.5) by holding down the mouse button and selecting the text, it highlights in yellow like it should. When I release the mouse button the text is unselected and the cursor jumps to the top left of the custom function window! I can't get the text in to the copy buffer to paste it elsewhere.

I am running windows 7 which is up to date
I am running Java SE 1.4.2_19
trilogy 7.03 build 03

Ideas???

garysdickinson

• Old PLC Coder
    • View Profile
Re:TL7 Editor copy paste bug in floating point
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 04:47:40 PM »
Let me add some more info to the problem that cch1955 is reporting:

• If I highlight a line or lines (multiple) that contain a floating point constant such as "4.35", when I release the left mouse button the cursor does move to the first line of custom function #1.
  • If I highlight a line or lines in a custom function other than custom function #1, the editor goes to custom function #1 and highlights something on the left part of line #1
  • If I highlight only the floating constant then the constant will remain highlighted and can be copied and pasted.

The only way that I can reliably edit custom functions that have floating point constants to to use a text editor outside of i-TriLOGI V7.03.  I use NotePad++

I find that I can enter Ctrl-A to select all of the text of a custom function that is open for edit and then enter Ctrl-C to copy this text.  If I go to Notepad++ I can paste the text and then edit it sanely. Once I get the text edited, I use  Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C to select and copy the the edited text.  I then return to the custom function editor and use Ctrl-A then Ctrl-V to select and replace all of the custom function with the version that has been edited.

This is a real pain, but it allows me to continue working. I do get a bonus by going to NotePad++, I can use the spell checker to mask my lousy spelling.

Gary D.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:00:26 PM by garysdickinson »

cch1955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 05:09:03 PM »
Good info Gary. The problem is worse than I thought. Triangle has acted rapidly in the past to fix problems that are hurting us in project development.

I trust they will rise to the challenge and fix this issue or at the least give us a schedule on an improved release.

I have done a similar work around today which gets it done, but can be very dicey if you copy and paste just a bit off or you get hung up half way through the process!  

I think Triangle updating the software to run on a current Java is critical for the product line future for me.

Thanks
Chris

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 09:25:15 PM »
Thank you for your report. Our software team checked if you have not connected the PLC previously to a Fx series PLC then the editor was trying to report that as an unsupported variable, but it was not well handled. Since if you only run the simulator then the i-TRiLOGI did not get to know what PLC it will be used it should have accepted the variable by default. So this represent a bug in the editor. We will fix this in the next release.

Meanwhile you may want to to try to connect to the Fx series PLC at least once so that the program is happy that a Fx PLC is used and the floating point is supported. You should then be able to select the text and copy or paste it.

The reason for this is that editor is trying to give you the value of a variable you have selected using the mouse. It also has to differentiate between giving you either the value from the simulator or retrieve the value from the PLC if you have connected to the PLC.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:31:17 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

cch1955

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 08:21:24 AM »
I have the same problem's is Gary is experiencing.

I have tested the work around and found that the PLC must be connected and you must download a PLC program to the connected PLC for the cut and paste to work correctly.

The development software needs to have a pull down to allow selecting target PLC type if a PLC is not connected which is common in development.

When can we expect the updated software to be released?

Thanks for  your efforts to resolve this problem as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:22:12 AM by cch1955 »

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »
We have released the updated program on the default i-TRiLOGI upgrade website.

Since only TL70.jar is affected you can also avoid running the whole SetupTL7.exe file by downloading only the following file from the page:

http://www.tri-plc.com/trilogi5-upgrade/TL703b4.zip

You will still need the username and password authorization in the software upgrade link  to download this file. Once downloaded simply extract the TL70.jar file and copy to the C:\TRiLOGI\TL7 folder.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

garysdickinson

• Old PLC Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »
Thanks guys.

I tried out the replacement .jar file and this seems to solve the text selection issues.

Gary D.

cch1955

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 04:07:42 PM »
I installed the up date and it looks good so far.

Thanks for getting this done rapidly.