Author Topic: Java and i-TRiLOGI  (Read 7271 times)

garysdickinson

• Old PLC Coder
    • View Profile
Java and i-TRiLOGI
« on: October 03, 2014, 10:02:11 PM »
I know this is an old subject, but it keeps me awake at night.

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_19\bin\java.exe  just is not happy with current windows operating systems.    i-TRiLOGI windows get messed up if you move them, i-TRILOGI messes up Outlook and other programs when run this ancient unsupported versions of Java.

If I force i-TRILOGI to run with current Java, I have none of these problems.

I've attached a sample of what happens with j2re1.4.2_19.  If I run the i-TRiLOGI stuff with the current java, I don't have all of these problems.

In the old days I could edit the "TL6.BAT" file and newer versions of Java to run.  This file is still present in the install directory but is no longer used.

Is there anyway with your new TL6/TL7 launcher to select what version of Java is to be used?

I'd love to use a version of Java that works with Win7 64 bit for the development tools.  I'm OK with the old Java for TLServer (it doesn't really have a user interface).

Sorry to bring up this old festering issue,

Gary D

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Java and i-TRiLOGI
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »
Thank you for the feedback. The reason that we stay with JRE 1.4.2 is because there were some reported display issue in the subsequent JRE that some users fedback to us (but we could not replicate) between JRE 1.4 and JRE 1.7. When our users went back to JRE 1.4.2 the issue went away.

However, the newest JRE does have some nice features and Java developers may have fixed those bugs exist in the previous versions so some time in future we will move to use the new Java.

Meanwhile, if your current JRE works well for you, you can try to download the following alternative launchers.

http://www.tri-plc.com/download/TCurrJRELlaunchers.zip

After you have unzipped the files, rename them as TL6Launcher.exe and TL7Launcher.exe and replace the existing files of the same name in the TRiLOGI\TL6 and TRiLOGI\TL7 folder.  These two launchers will invoke the current JRE on your PC to run the .jar files.  (You may want to keep the original launchers somewhere else in case the new launchers or new JRE don't work out too well).

Since these two .exe files are registered with Windows, double clicking on a file with .PC6 and .PC7 extension will invoke these launchers to open the data file using the correct i-TRiLOGI version.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:30:02 AM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

garysdickinson

• Old PLC Coder
    • View Profile
Re:Java and i-TRiLOGI
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 09:25:33 PM »
Thanks,

I down loaded the zip file and installed the alternative launcher programs.  

These launchers seem to work as described.  i-TRiLOGI appears to be running with the current versions of Java.  TLServer seems to be using the "old" Java.  

This makes i_TRiLOGI behave much nicer with Win7 (64 bit) and my other applications.  

Thanks again,

Gary D.