Author Topic: Communications Cable  (Read 7091 times)

willpower

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Communications Cable
« on: December 29, 2003, 03:07:03 PM »
Hi, I am wondering if it is possible to construct a longer communications cable than the one provided when you purchase the Trilogic software package.

I have one of your plc's mounted in a panel in a very dirty compost processing plant, any programming changes I have to make are usually when the machine is running, there is a lot of dirt and debris falling into my laptop.  
I would like to make up a cable around 25' long so that I can do programming changes from the safety of my service vehicle.

Thanks

WillPower
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1076562000 »

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re: Communications Cable
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 07:36:01 PM »
For long distance communication, we recommend using the RS485 for your programming. You'll need to purchase an Auto485 converter ($49) to convert your PC's RS232 port into RS485 signal and then connect twisted pair cable from the Auto485 output to the PLC's RS485 port.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1076562000 »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

will steed

Re:Communications Cable
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 06:01:34 PM »
I started this thread some time ago, now I am coming back to it.

I am purchasing the rs232-rs485 converter on tuesday, is there anything special about how it is hooked up.  IE, do I need to use resitors or is it a direct connection?

Another question, I eventually want to hook up a radio modem, so that I can hook up to a landline and use the internet functionality of the PLC.  Is there any you recommend or any that other users have tried.

As always cost is a concern, as this is more for my convienience than the customers.(its a long drive through traffic to the site, and the problems are generally easy to fix, it would be much nicer to be able to troubleshoot from my home computer)

I am using a T100MD2424.

Thanks.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 11:47:08 AM »
The Auto485 is designed to work with the M-series PLC directly. All you need is to supply the Auto485 with a DC voltage (9 to 24V) and then connect two wires from the Auto485 to the PLC and that should work immediately. For long distance you will always need to do the proper things such as bias resistors and 120 ohm terminating resistors at each end of the RS485 bus.

Radio Modem: We have tested a product made by a company called Key Telemetering: (http://www.keytelemetering.com). It seems to work well in the lab when we tried at a distance of about 50-100 ft. We didn't have a chance to test it for long distance so we can't say for sure if it works well for long distance, although the company claims to be able to communicate over many miles in open terrain. But you will have to evaluate and qualify their products as we can't recommend any specific brand unless we have done full qualification tests on them.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 11:48:56 AM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

Tim C

• Help Help Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 04:30:55 PM »
Hello
   I have a T100md888 RS232 Port attached to a Lantronix MSS-100 serial to Ethernet converter (Device Server) From that to a  D-Link (DWL-800AP+) Wireless Bridge to a wireless card in my PC. The Device Server comes with software that
Redirects the Serial Communications to the wireless card. Just pick the Com port that you have the redirect software running on and configure the Baud settings And everything seems to work fine. Plus more than one client can connect to and read from the plc when you have the device server connected. I have about $75 bucks invested in the Device server and the Wireless bridge  "Ebay...lol"  This sure would make your Progamming alot less painfull......lol