Author Topic: Tap Analogue signal  (Read 7108 times)

can

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Tap Analogue signal
« on: February 25, 2014, 05:15:00 PM »
Hi. Currently, a load cell sends an analogue signal to an amplifier before hooking up to AB PLC. Is it possible to tap the analogue signal in order for FMD to monitor the signal as well?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Tap Analogue signal
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 11:34:12 PM »
The signal from the load cell is typically small signal. In order to tap this signal and feed to an FMD PLC you will again need another amplifier (signal conditioner or instrumentation amp) to amplify this signal to the 0-5V range of the PLC's analog input. The high amplifier input impedance ensure that it does not affect the load cell output signal that goes to the amplifier for the AB PLC.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

can

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »
Hi. What worries me is the integrity of the signal coming from the loadcell. Will there be any problem with supplying the same signal to 2 amplifier?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 09:34:10 PM »
Usually amplifiers have very high input impedance (> 10M ohms) so you can connect the same signal in parallel to multiple amplifier and it should not affect the signal integrity since the amplifier input draws very little current.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

can

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 12:56:48 AM »
Hi. Thanks for the clarification. If the analogue voltage is 10VDC, can the FMD88 take the extra voltage?

garysdickinson

• Old PLC Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 09:44:23 PM »
You might want to use an external ADC such as the I-7017.

This ADC can be connected to the analog output of the load cell signal conditioner.  The I-7017 can deal with 0..10 volt signals and it connects to the TriLog PLC via rs485.

The analog inputs to the I-7017 are differential the TriLog ADC inputs are single ended. Differential inputs help to overcome a lot problems with signal grounding between the 2 PLCs.  

The input impedance of the I-7017 is grater than 20M ohm to both the signal and the ground (reference) inputs.

Best regards,

Gary d