Author Topic: Permante Magnet DC Motor control  (Read 7956 times)

jrustang

• The Shadow!
    • View Profile
Permante Magnet DC Motor control
« on: April 08, 2013, 09:43:47 AM »
Hi!! i'm trying to control a PMDC Motor (130DCV 14Amps) used in a treadmill exercise Runing machine using a TM888 PWM output.

On the TM888 User Manual Pag. 1-6 there is a Circuit Diagram using the Mosfet irf530 witch can handle up to 12amp and 100volts.

My question is: is there any other Mosfet that I can use to do my project? Or I can use this one with the inconvenience that it's not gonna give me all the power that I need...
Is the IRF53 gonna get over heated?
What frecuency should I use in the Tbasic Program? 60hz? Or more?

Any ideas would be apreciated...

Thanks.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Permante Magnet DC Motor control
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »
Please note that 130V DC is pretty dangerous voltage (high voltage DC is much more dangerous than AC of the same voltage) so you should only handle such voltages if you have adequate knowledge.

If you want to handle high current high voltage motor, try to get a DC solid state relay with optical isolation.

A quick search on Amazon found something like the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Amico-SSR-40DD-Covered-Solid-5-110V/dp/B009AQNBJW/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1365441785&sr=8-16&keywords=DC-DC+solid+state+relay

Note that this is only for your reference and we are not in any way recommending this particular brand or product since we have no experience with this part. You will need to do your own research.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

jrustang

• The Shadow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »
Thank you for the repplay and the info.

I have another question: Would this Solid State Relay work with the PWM Output of the PLC? Would I be able to control the speed of the motor?

Is my first time with this type of device.

Thank you.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »
You will  have to check with the supplier spec to see the frequency response. Typically solid state relay should be able to handle PWM frequency of a few hundred Hz which is probably what you will be using to drive the motor anyway.  If you have a DC motor the PWM output from the SSR should be able to drive it. For high current you will need probably need to add in the necessary flyback diodes to protect the driver against high energy inductive kick.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:19:41 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

jrustang

• The Shadow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 08:33:09 PM »
Thank you very much for the info... I"ll check on that...