Author Topic: iTrilogi Ver 6.45 build 3, Edit issues  (Read 9391 times)

garysdickinson

• Old PLC Coder
    • View Profile
iTrilogi Ver 6.45 build 3, Edit issues
« on: December 26, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »
Hello all, just my usual rant about messy code, again.

I've noticed in the V6.45 version build 3, that if the "I/O Shift down" option is used in the "I/O Table" menu with Custom functions that the shift  does not appear in the "Open CusFn" menu item.

If the file is saved and then I-TrilogI is closed and reopened, then the various I/O Tables and list of custom functions are correctly reconstructed.

I have another pet peeve that I'd like to share.  This is been in many versions of i-Trilogi.  It is not unique to V6.45.  I just on a mini rant.

When I press the "Insert" key on my keyboard the "Open CusFn" menu opens.  However the behavior of the custom function editor changes from "insert mode" to "overwrite mode".  In order to get the editor back to "insert mode", I have to close the "Open CusFn" menu, then press "Insert" a 2nd time and close the "Open CusFn" menu a second time.

It seems that your choice of using the "Insert Key" as a way to open another menu has an annoying side effect on the state of the text editing code.

Is there some way I can use some other key than "Insert" to open this menu?  Say F8?  Is there something in the EN_xxxx.ini
file that I can tweak with?  And why if I am in the custom function editor is useful to have the "Open CusFn" menu appear?

OK here's a new  feature of V6.45.  If you are editing a custom function and you want to know the name of a RELAY, you can open the I/O table. If you highlight the "label name" and press <ctrl>-C instead of making a copy of the highlighted text for latter insert into the body of the custom function, the <ctrl>-C opens the "Copy Ladder Circuits" Dialog.  This is very confusing and seems to be mixing ladder logic editing with custom function editing...

Sorry, but I really am perturbed.  How come the "View Custom Function" window does not use the same tab spacing as the normal custom function edit window?  Is there something in the .ini file to set the tab spacing for this window?

best regards,

Gary D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 07:36:12 PM by garysdickinson »

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:iTrilogi Ver 6.45 build 3, Edit issues
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »
I've noticed in the V6.45 version build 3, that if the "I/O Shift down" option is used in the "I/O Table" menu with Custom functions that the shift  does not appear in the "Open CusFn" menu item.

If the file is saved and then I-TrilogI is closed and reopened, then the various I/O Tables and list of custom functions are correctly reconstructed.  

Do you mean the custom function label that has already been shifted does not appear to be shifted when you click "Open CusFn"? We were not able to repeat this when tested with JRE 1.4.2 or JRE 1.6.

I have another pet peeve that I'd like to share.  This is been in many versions of i-Trilogi.  It is not unique to V6.45.  I just on a mini rant.

When I press the "Insert" key on my keyboard the "Open CusFn" menu opens.  However the behavior of the custom function editor changes from "insert mode" to "overwrite mode".  In order to get the editor back to "insert mode", I have to close the "Open CusFn" menu, then press "Insert" a 2nd time and close the "Open CusFn" menu a second time.

It seems that your choice of using the "Insert Key" as a way to open another menu has an annoying side effect on the state of the text editing code.

Is there some way I can use some other key than "Insert" to open this menu?  Say F8?  Is there something in the EN_xxxx.ini
file that I can tweak with?  And why if I am in the custom function editor is useful to have the "Open CusFn" menu appear?

I think the use of "Ins" key was inherited from the old DOS version of TRiLOGI and the older i-TRiLOGI that did not have a simple way of opening another CF within the CF editor. I think the logical thing to do is to remove this hot key in the next release.

OK here's a new  feature of V6.45.  If you are editing a custom function and you want to know the name of a RELAY, you can open the I/O table. If you highlight the "label name" and press <ctrl>-C instead of making a copy of the highlighted text for latter insert into the body of the custom function, the <ctrl>-C opens the "Copy Ladder Circuits" Dialog.  This is very confusing and seems to be mixing ladder logic editing with custom function editing...

We changed the way the hot key is invoked in 6.45 by using a newer Java program "accelerator" feature. This makes the "Ctrl-C", "Ctrl-V" and "Ctrl-X" appear neatly to the right of the menu. Unfortunately when running on JRE 1.4.2  these hot key appear to be inherited by the popup I/O table so when you press Ctrl-C it appears to call up the menu action.  When version 6.45 runs on later JRE (e.g. 1.6) this would not happen. So it appears that it is a bug in the JRE 1.4.2.

Since we encourage user to run the program via JRE 1.4.2 to avoid the unknown new problems that newer JRE may introduce, I guess we will have to either to go back to the old way of invoking the hot key or find a way to fix it so that these hot keys are not inherited by the popup I/O table.

For now if you want to copy a label name, try to select it and right-click on it to open a popup menu and select "Copy" instead of using "Ctrl-C".  
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:01:40 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

garysdickinson

• Old PLC Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »
Let me clarify the issue with the Custom Function names.  What is happening is that changes made to the I/O table list of custom functions is not being correctly propagated to the list of custom functions that is shown within the custom function editor.  

I'm guessing that your code maintains multiple lists of custom functions names and that all instances of this list are not being maintained.

I have attached a ".pdf" file with screen shots that demonstrate how to reproduce this problem.  This problem exists with Java 1.4.2_19 and the recent Java 7.0.90.5.

On my attempts to copy using <ctrl>-C from the I/O Table.  The "blue" cursor was highlighting the label name.  In this mode the right-click only gets me the I/O shift up/down options.  If instead I select the RELAY name for edit, then highlight the name and then right-click a different menu opens and this menu has the copy option.  I think that my problem with this was mostly my own operator error problem.  

Best regards,

Gary D.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:30:28 PM by garysdickinson »

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 12:51:22 AM »
i-TRiLOGI 6.45 build 04 has just been released and should have fixed all your reported grievances   ;D.  Have a nice weekend.

garysdickinson

• Old PLC Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 05:30:26 PM »
Hello all.  You are very responsive to my rants.  I greatly appreciate the effort that you put into improving your software.

I have worked with the newly released Build 4 version and you have fixed most of the things that have made me a bit crazy.  

There are still problems with the management of custom function names.  I have attached a ".pdf" that illustrates that new custom function names are still not being correctly propagated to all instances of data structures that manage custom function names.

I also observed another problem with the custom function editor.  If you attempt to "View Other CusFn" you cannot view custom function #1.  Please look at the ".PDF" for this issue.

Gary D.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 05:32:32 PM by garysdickinson »

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:20:53 PM »
Thank you for your feedback. We always appreciate all suggestions and feedback as they help us make better products. We will definitely look into what you have reported and have it fixed in the next build release.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:21:17 PM by support »