Author Topic: Set up of ethernet via RS-485 slave?  (Read 5646 times)

ssiewert

• View Profile
Set up of ethernet via RS-485 slave?
« on: August 24, 2012, 05:52:20 PM »
I've got a new Nano-10 here (no rs-232 port). I haven't had any luck on the initial hook up over ethernet, nor did I with prior FMDs.  I ended up using rs-232 and TL server to get ip and passwords assigned on the FMD's.  The ethernet worked great after that for Trilogi and web.

Is it reasonable to think about using one of my already setup FMD's to talk to the Nano over the 485 and set up the ethernet port on the Nano?  

If not, I'll locate a usb to 485 converter.
Murphy may sleep, but he never dies.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Set up of ethernet via RS-485 slave?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:27:49 AM »
Please refer to Section 2.8 of the Nano-10 User's Manual:

2.8 Setting up Ethernet Communication Directly Between a PC and
Nano-10 PLC

Which shows you have to connect to the Nano-10 or FMD PLC using direct Ethernet cable connection between the PC and the PLC. Assuming that you know the default IP address and port number settings of the PLC you can connect via Ethernet port instead of the serial port to do the setup. You must setup the PC's Ethernet port to a static IP address in the same subnet as the PLC's IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.10) as the default DHCP will not work over a direct Ethernet connection.

However, in cases when you forget your PLC IP address or port number then the only way is to get the information via the serial port. So it is still good to have a USB-RS232 or USB-RS485 adapters on hand to perform the intial setup.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:32:26 AM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS