Author Topic: Setsystem  (Read 24193 times)

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Setsystem
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »
We are not aware of the reported issue.

Was what you experienced a result of using SETSYSTEM 8, n to change the ID?

Did you try changing the ID from the TLServer or i-TRiLOGI instead of using the SETSYSTEM 8, n method? That is the traditional method of changing the ID which should work without any issue.

Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

BC SYSTEMS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »
Hi,

I was using the trilogi program "get hardware info"  > Change ID and the change ID in the TL server locally when the TCP was out.

The address range i need is 101 to 125 but I will attempt using 1 to 25 tomorrow to see if this makes any difference.

The panels are located around a landfill site and are active 24/7.  the ethenet communication is via wifi antennas and as a whole the system works very well.

What about the FW upgrade solution?  I cannot remove the PLC's from the panels now they are "in service"

Cheers  

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »
Note that when you use the i-TRiLOGI change ID to enter ID it should be in hex (00 to FF) and not in decimal.

101 = &H65
125 = &H7D

Firmware upgrade can only be done at the factory. There is no field upgrade option available unfortunately.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 03:47:32 PM by support »

BC SYSTEMS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 03:58:18 PM »
I'm aware the ID is in Hex.

What are my options now then ???  And why not the field upgrade FW option?    

Of all the things that can have their FW upgraded I would have thought this would be one of them? ::)

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »
We tested setting the ID via Ethernet and didn't encounter any problem that you described. There is no need to reboot the PLC as changing the ID take effect immediately. Also when you transfer program to the PLC try to use the "Reset" command instead of "Reboot" command except in the case of changing the IP address etc.

For FW upgrade the board would need to be replaced and shipped back to the factory. In your case if you can set the ID manually via i-TRiLOGI software it doesn't appear to be worth the trouble to upgrade it just to run the SETSYSTEM 8, n command.

Implementing user upgradable firmware for a PLC in our opinion can lead to a lot of problems as product development engineering may not be as thorough in testing (afterall if any bugs are found  the user can upgrade it via firmware fix) so we chose not to implement it.  Also it is between using up precious program memory for more sophisticated features or to implement boot loader to allow field FW ugprading, and we chose the former.

BC SYSTEMS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 01:16:13 AM »
Hi,

when you change the ID via the Trilogi program it has a note that says "Changing ID will reset PLC"

I don't agree about the FW but that's just my opinion.

I'm going to try and nail down whats happening today and i will let you know the outcome.

BC SYSTEMS

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 01:21:46 AM »
HI Changed the ID from 01 to 02 and 03 no problem, when i tried 75 (117 in Dec the PLC kicks me out of the ethernet port.

BC SYSTEMS

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 02:58:09 AM »
Hi,

It looks Like any ID higher than 09 causes the ethernet port to become unresponsive.

I have re-ID the PLC's with this problem with the ID range 01 - 09, although one PLC would take longer to respond the higher the ID i.e. if the ID was 07 it would ping in 400ms and drop 50 of the packets, now its set to 02 i get all four packets and the response is 5-15 ms???

I have used the following setsystem command for the HMI:

SETSYSTEM 8, &H0001             ' Set Comm Port 1 ti ID 1 for RL

This works on all PLCs r76A to r78A.

For future systems i will use the:

'SETSYSTEM 8,&H0375 '+ DM[66]      ' Set Device ID &h03 = cOMM4 ETHERNET IP

But going back to my original request, how to i convert the dec data from the DM field into hex?

Cheers

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 08:49:01 AM »
I tried setting the ID to 75 (hex) via the Change ID button on the "Get Hardware Info" and have no problem changing it to 75. I can then re-connect to the PLC using ID=75 (it is reported by detect ID). My ping result of the IP address of this PLC (r76A firmware) did not show any slower response. So this is a bit strange.

What Gary suggested would work:

SETSYSTEM 8, &H0300 + DM[66] ' DM[66] contains 1 to 255 decimal

You can even use the decimal version of &H0300 (= 768) as follow:

SETSYSTEM 8, 768 + DM[66]

Note that a hexadecimal number is really just a representation of a number for human to more easily understand since every 4 binary bits map to a single hex digit. Inside a computer a number is a number and is always represented in binary.  When we write a program, the following two program lines:

A = 768
A = &H0300

are identical when compiled into machine readable form.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:49:45 AM by support »

BC SYSTEMS

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 03:00:52 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I was only trying to convert to hex becaus of the syntax errors.

One thing you could try:

Open a blank program
Go controller > connect to controller
Enter IP and connect. I'd not needed here yet.
Now click get hardware and notice ID is blank
Don't detect ID
Enter new ID 75
Hit change ID

Try that for size.

I also had the online monitor open at one stage which may have contributed???
I only have the issue with a couple of r76A PLC's. Whilst onsite I replaced a PLC with a blown analogue input.  I'm not sure what level of FW is in this plc but I will test and let you know if it responds the same way.

Can the Plc be repaired? If not and it does have the address error do you want me to and it over to you to look at?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 04:24:07 PM »
Tried that on a r76A.  I could change the ID (when current ID is blank) to 75 and then go back online monitoring and detect ID would return 75 and no trouble going online monitoring. The PLC still run as per normal.

Did you say while online monitoring is going on you make an ID change? That could have contributed to making the system unstable. Changing ID should be done only sparingly and when the system is not running full operation otherwise it may be a bit hard to predict what could break.

Most of the time the PLC can be repaired if some peripheral ICs are damaged. However if the main CPU is damaged then we normally will not repair it.

BC SYSTEMS

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
Ok thanks.

I'll test the Plc and let you know.

Cheers