Author Topic: Virtual LCD on Web- allowable character count  (Read 5016 times)

ssiewert

• View Profile
Virtual LCD on Web- allowable character count
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:15:50 AM »
FMD and Trilogi 6.43
The virtual LCD screen in Trilogi shows more characters per line than the web LCD screen.  I like having the option for more characters.
I've made a few HTML changes to increase the size of the virtual screen, but that doesn't do anything for allowing more characters per line.   I've got space but can't use it.

Where would I find and be able to adjust the allowed characters per line?   I don't expect to have anything besides  a virtual LCD, so I'm not worried about making changes a physical LCD couldn't accept.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:18:01 AM by ssiewert »
Murphy may sleep, but he never dies.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Virtual LCD on Web- allowable character count
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:06:45 PM »
The SETLCD command on the PLC currently only writes maximum allowable characters (20) to the LCD screen as well as storing on the LCD line variable so only the first 20 characters will show up. To allow a write beyond the maximum characters per line could overwrite the physical LCD display of other lines.

We could inquire from the development team to see if there is a work around  (no promise :P). Since this will involve non-documented features please email directly to support@tri-plc.com and provide your details (name, company, purchased model and some descriptions of your project and intended applications) and we will then forward the request to the development team for advise.

Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

ssiewert

• View Profile
Re:Virtual LCD on Web- allowable character count
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 06:41:55 AM »
Thank you for the kind offer of the development team.   It sounds like it is a bigger deal than I originally thought.  The virtual screen in simulation allows at least 40 characters, I thought it might be as simple as changing the way the web page handled it.   I hadn't considered the PLC need for 20 character limit, though I think that is what I have seen.  It would appear the PLC truncates the line rather than overflows to the next.

As with most things, there is more than one method for achieving a goal.   There is some instruction on exchanging screen information with timers and a custom function.  
http://www.tri-plc.com/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1579;start=msg5159#msg5159
I'll give that a try and see what can be done.
Murphy may sleep, but he never dies.