Author Topic: Full screen function editor window scrolling=stuttering/excessive resource usage  (Read 5796 times)

K.Newton

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
I'm using Tri 6.4.1 on XP pro on this Dell precision M90 laptop.

This is more of a reporting of a percieved bug than a cry for help since I have a workaround. The workaround is never open the text editor to full screen mode and all is well.

Just to summarize, and I have tried this in both version 1.4.2_06 and 1.4.2_19 JRE, scrolling the text window of the function editor while it is in full screen mode causes "javaw.exe" resource usage to go through  the roof per task managers "Processes" monitoring tab on my machine. Also there is an accompanying condition of a painfully slow und seemingly unpredictable scrolling of the text window while this is going on. Once this mode has been entered I haven't found a way back out other than closing out then restarting my tri session.

If I were to guess I'd say it looks like it may be some issue with the directx graphics handling but of course it is only a wild a** guess. It looks to me like all graphics acceeration is disabled in this combination of conditions.

Then again I've seen errors with this machine you all couldn't seem to replicate so maybe this is another flaw of this particular laptop.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Does it happen to any custom function or just a custom function with a very long program? We haven't seen such a behavior before.

Does it happen to earlier version of TRILOGI such as 6.31? Since version 6.41 is newly released we just want to make sure that it is not a version related issue.

We have tried what you said on a Windows XP home and also on a Windows 7 Ultimate edition. Nothing unusual about the Task Manager report. The memory usage of javaw.exe on Windows XP is about 30M and on the Windows 7 Ultimate is 50M. Zooming up the text editor to full screen did not cause any changes to the memory and the CPU usage shows 00 all the time.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:57:56 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

K.Newton

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
lol. Maybe I need to request a new laptop.

It is apparently happenning with any length function. At least, all the lengths I've tried.

I don't recall this ever occurring before I updated to 6.4.1 and I believe I've tried all the pubic releases since we purchased our seat late last year.

One thing I did try was to disable all hardware graphics acceleration and that seemed to make the problem disapear.

Sorry I can't be more help.