Author Topic: How to Install I-TRiLOGI on 64-bit Windows 7 Computer  (Read 25824 times)

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
How to Install I-TRiLOGI on 64-bit Windows 7 Computer
« on: December 29, 2010, 10:20:02 PM »
Important Notes

We recently received several reports that program transfer is often aborted half-way or require multiple attempts to transfer program to the PLC. This happens whether the program transfer is via TLServer or the Ethernet.

It appears these problems only surface after user has upgraded to JRE 1.6.0_24. (We did not receive similar complaints on earlier version of JRE 1.6.0, although there were other issues on some PC). So far in all cases the problem was resolved after the users uninstalled JRE 1.6.0_24 and re-install JRE 1.4.2.  Therefore we strongly recommend that you keep your JRE 1.4.2 even if you must upgrade to JRE 1.6.0_24.

***********************************************************************************

Step 1 - Find java.exe
Before you run the SetupTL6.exe file on your Windows PC, please check if your PC already has java.exe file installed. You can do this by doing a search on your computer hard disk for the java.exe file.

You may find a copy of java.exe on the C:\Windows\syswow64 folder. But whats more important is the copy of java.exe in the Java Run-Time Environment (JRE) folder such as the following:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin

If you find the path of the java.exe in the JRE folder, please copy it down and proceed to STEP 2.

-----
If you don't find any java.exe in your PC's hard drive, that means your PC is not shipped with a JRE. We recommend that you install the 32-bit JRE 1.4.2 which we found to be the most stable version of Java and work best with the i-TRiLOGI. You can download the free JRE 1.4.2 from the following link:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase14-419411.html#j2re-1.4.2_19-oth-JPR

When you are there, download the "J2SE v 1.4.2_19  JRE" will do. There is no need to download the SDK unless you want to write your own Java program.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:56:45 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re:How to Install I-TRiLOGI on 64-bit Windows 7 Computer
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 10:27:05 PM »
Step 2

Please follow the "Upgrade.htm" document in your CD-ROM, or if you are current i-TRiLOGI user (production verson only), you can pull down the "Help" menu and select "TRiLOGI Upgrade" to obtain upgrade to the latest i-TRiLOGI. Note that i-TRiLOGI setup older than version 6.30 does not have the serial driver compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7 so it is necessary to do the upgrade. (If for whatever reason you prefer to stay with older i-TRiLOGI but need the new serial driver please write to support@tri-plc.com and provide your purchase detail to get the updated serial driver installation program).

Next, run the SetupTL6.exe file from your CD-ROM, or follow the link in the "upgrade.htm" file in the CD-ROM to our website to download the latest version of SetupTL6.exe.  The setup program installs the i-TRiLOGI software, the TLServer software and the serial driver required for TLServer to communicate with the PLC via serial port.

It is important that you run the SetupTL6.exe only after the JRE has been found or installed because the setup program need to install the serial driver to the appropriate JRE folder on your PC.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:57:57 PM by support »

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 10:38:14 PM »
Step 3

Now you can click the "Start->All Programs -> Internet TRiLOGI 6" and select the Internet TRiLOGI Version 6.xx". This usually runs without much problem.

Next, try to run the TLServer by selecting "Start -> All Programs -> Internet TRiLOGI 6-> TLServer version 3.1". If the TLServer front panel appears, it means that your program is running fine. These two programs may be all you need for using the i-TRiLOGI program.

However, if either the Internet TRiLOGI or TLServer fails to run it means that Windows 7 is unable to run the .jar file directly. You may then go to Step 4 to make changes to your system path and try again.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:48:50 PM »
STEP 4

1. From the desktop, right-click My Computer and click Properties.
2. In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.
3. In the Advanced section, click the Environment Variables button.
3. Finally, in the Environment Variables window (as shown below), highlight the Path variable in the Systems Variable section and click the Edit button.

When the Edit System Variable dialog box opens, click on the "Variable Value:" field and move the cursor to the end of the line. Add a semi-colon (';') to the end of existing line and then paste the JRE path of the java.exe you found in STEP #1 as shown in the following picture:

Then click OK and OK again to close the "Environment Variables" windows.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:03:47 PM by support »

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:20:25 PM »
STEP 5

Now try to run the Internet TRiLOGI and the TLServer 3 again and they should run since the java.exe path is now known to the operating system.

If this still does not work, first go back to check to make sure that you have added the path to java.exe correctly.

If you have confirmed that the path is correctly added, then go to command prompt and enter  "java -version". The operating system should report the java version that is installed in your PC. This confirm that the java.exe is now known to the O/S.

Now go to "My Computer" and open the "C:\TRiLOGI\TL6" folder and you can try to run the Internet TRiLOGI by double-clicking the "TL6.bat" and the "TLServer3.bat" to run the Internet TRiLOGI and the TLServer program respectively.

If this still doesn't work, you can visit the following forum thread where our customers and we described our experience  with various ways to make the i-TRiLOGI and TLServer run on Windows 7:

http://www.tri-plc.com/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1556;start=0
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:56:40 AM by support »