Author Topic: PC LCD MONITOR Text SIZES  (Read 17953 times)

cdenk

• View Profile
Re:PC LCD MONITOR Text SIZES
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 08:34:28 AM »
I just upgraded Java to the latest, think the previous version was 1.5. There seemed to be some improvement with the latest version. I will downgrade to an earlier version from the CD, and report back. It might be a day or 2.

Directx is not installed, at least it didn't appear in Task Manager processes or Msconfig. There is several Directx.logs, but they show no activity for several years. I see there are several versions of Directx I could install, thinking version 9.0C is appropriate, but at this point somewhat reluctant to install. Thoughts??

On the monitor size: The previous 19" monitor @1024 x 768 was 15" wide which is 68 DPI. The current 23" is 20" wide @ 1920 x 1020 = 96 DPI. What would be 12 point on the old looks like just above 8 point on the new. Note the new monitor is a wide screen like a HD TV.

And yes, I agree, this problem could be located numerous locations. Even some of the Window's windows are small font, with no apparent way to enlarge. The Start > Run window is one of these. But nearly all of my applications, including Microchip MPLAB IDE handle the font sizes OK. I am surprised that Microsoft and Java haven't addressed the issue, and software publishers made the necessary changes.

Thanks again. :)

cdenk

• View Profile
Re:PC LCD MONITOR Text SIZES
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 06:27:53 AM »
Sorry for the delay, was busy with other items.

Downgraded to Java2, 1.4.2_06 from the CD from 1.6.0_03-B05. There is no significant changes. Will keep 1.4... loaded for a few days if someone has some comments. fontIncrement   4 results in ladder rung font size a  bigger, about 10 point, but the rung comment, and custom function windows text is small and if changed is little, would like to get at least 2 sizes bigger. Fixed the Ladder comments by editing to shorter lines. The comments need a CR at the end so the cursor is on a blank line to prevent overlap with the rung below labels.

All the windows still open at the screen's left edge,under the left side always visible start bar. Since most applications don't need the 16:9 screen width, this is working well, where I wouldn't of considered with the more square proportions.