Author Topic: Form of Analog Input  (Read 5053 times)

MHN

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Form of Analog Input
« on: May 05, 2009, 05:50:12 AM »
T100MD888+

I have a windmill giving AC voltage out from 0 to 130 Volts

I want an input reflecting RPM or Voltage. Do I need to convert to DC if I use 0-20 mA or 0-10 V.

What load in voltage can the PLC take on the Pulse measurement input? Could i use some kind of diode that will work on low and high Voltage and still not be burned or burn the PLC

Programming will be controlling load on the windmill depending on the windspeed.
 ???http://

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Form of Analog Input
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:28:31 PM »
Since your windmill gives out an AC voltage of 0 to 130V, you may use a small AC transformer to step it down. E.g. use a 120V to 6V transformer. Then use a diode bridge and some capacitor to rectify it into DC voltage. Now you can use two resistors to form a voltage divider and scale the voltage to the PLC's analog range (e.g. 0-5V on a T100M888+).  The PLC will now be able to read the windmill output voltage while being isolated from it.

The same transformer output can also be connected to a single diode so that you get a half-wave rectification. You can then feed this half-wave to a transistor or ULN2003A and the output of the transistor can turn ON the PLC's digital input for half a cycle and OFF for another half cycle Now the PMON function could be able to measure the half wave frequency which is equal to half of the actual incomg pulse frequency.

If you use a F1616-BA you can connect the transformer AC output directly to the digital inputs 1-6 to measure up to 6 incoming pulses. No diode required since the F1616-BA can accept 24VAC inputs (Maximum of 50V p-p).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:37:06 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS