Author Topic: Cannot open saved file  (Read 7614 times)

bl

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Cannot open saved file
« on: February 02, 2009, 07:16:15 AM »
I saved my work as a local .PC5 file on my PC. But now I cannot open it. Trilogi says "File not found or it is not valid Trilogi file".
When I finished my work I chose File/Save As (Local drive)/Filename.PC5. I noticed as soon as the file was saved it was not recognized by Windows as a Trilogi file.
Any ideas why is that?

I use Internet Trilogi 5.32 (Educational version) and Windows XP.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BL

P.S. How do you guys save your file on the PC?Is it something different?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 11:01:23 AM by bl »

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Cannot open saved local .PC5 file
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »
You can make a copy of your .PC5 file and use a text editor (e.g. Notepad) to try to open it. See if there is any valid content. If notepad open up a blank file something may have happened when saving the file and the content is lost.

Alternatively, re-register at http://www.tri-plc.com/trilogi.htm and obtain TRiLOGI version 6.22 (Educational).  Use it to open your .PC5 file. If the issue is because of O/S language (it happens to Windows that uses 16-bit Unicode as base language) then TRiLOGI 6.22 will be able to open the .PC5 file and you can then save it to .PC6 file.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

bl

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re:Cannot open saved file
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:07:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply,support.
I opened it with Notepad.There is some content.But I don't know why my version of Trilogi (5.32) doesn't open it.
Do I have to just use version 6.22 and work with it?

bl

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:11:01 AM »
I just tried with i-Trilogi v.6.22. I get the same message "File is not found or it is not valid TRILOGI file".
Using Notepad I see that there is content in the file. ???

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 11:21:54 AM »
Why don't you email the file to support@tri-plc.com and we can take a look to see if it is of the correct content.

bl

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 11:27:14 AM »
Why don't you email the file to support@tri-plc.com and we can take a look to see if it is of the correct content.
I just sent it.
Thank you.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 02:34:37 PM »
The file you sent has a corrupted signature. Did you use a word processor or notepad program to open this file and then saved over it?  Saving would corrupt the signature since the Word or notepad program converted some of the non-printable character into "?" character and TRiLOGI don't recognize it.

You should create another simple program and save it and then reopen to verify that the TRiLOGI software running on your system is able to save data correctly.

bl

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 07:18:37 PM »
The file you sent has a corrupted signature. Did you use a word processor or notepad program to open this file and then saved over it?  Saving would corrupt the signature since the Word or notepad program converted some of the non-printable character into "?" character and TRiLOGI don't recognize it.

You should create another simple program and save it and then reopen to verify that the TRiLOGI software running on your system is able to save data correctly.
That is because following your advice I tried to open it with Notepad.I guess since then Windows associates .pc5 with Notepad.But anyway.This is not the problem.
I couldn't open my file even yesterday-immediately after closing the program. After creating a file of a given type Windows should associate this file with the corresponding program.I am saying that immediately after saving the file to HDD it is not recognized as a file whose software is Trilogi.The icon was just as if the file was completely unknown to the operating system.And please, note that it was long before even trying to open it with any other kind of text editor.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:19:21 PM »
Well, I did suggest making a copy of your program and only use a notepad to open the copy... Anyway since the file you sent already has a corrupted signature we can't determine why it couldn't be opened. The only way to verify if there is a problem running the software on your system is for you to open some sample programs, save them as a different file name and then try to reopen it again.

bl

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 08:41:01 PM »
Anyway.I think there is definitely an issue with 5.3. But since there is 6.2 makes no sense to try to figure out what the problem is.I have the notion that might be something with the Java machine.
With the new 6.2 seems to be OK with saving/opening a local file.
I noticed when I open a file from the desktop and after that close the program a file "config.tl6" is created on the desktop? Deleting it doesn't seem to cause any problems.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 10:16:21 AM »
config.tl6 is created on the folder where the TRiLOGI software is started. It stores some configuration data such as screen size etc. If the file is not there then the program simply uses default values instead of saved values.