Author Topic: Launching TLServer 3.15  (Read 7285 times)

garysdickinson

• Old PLC Coder
    • View Profile
Launching TLServer 3.15
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:41:24 PM »
I'm having difficulties getting the TLserver 3.15 to run.  The TLServer window fails to open.

I'm running Windows Vista SP1, JRE 6.11.

I was running TRILOGI 6.14 w/JRE 6.03 before installing TRILOGI 6.21.

If I execute the tlserver3.bat from a DOS window, this is what I see:

C:\Program Files\TRiLOGI\TL6>java -jar TLServer31.jar

String counts = 83
Installation Directory = C:\Program Files\TRiLOGI\TL6/
Serialio Library: version 9.9.9: build 9191
Copyright (c) 1996-2008 Serialio.com, All Rights Reserved.
os.name="Windows Vista"  os.arch="x86"
TRi Amendment1:OS Name =Windows Vista
SerialPort class loaded: jspWin
Serial ports reported by system:
COM1;COM3;fsdir = C:\Program Files\TRiLOGI\TL6/FileService/
Getting Server IP addresses from O/S
IP Address1 = gary-PC/10.0.0.6
IP Address2 = gary-PC/fe80:0:0:0:4432:c14c:a57:df19%8
IP Address3 = gary-PC/fe80:0:0:0:1c18:ca2:f5ff:fff9%9
IP Address4 = gary-PC/2001:0:4137:9e50:1c18:ca2:f5ff:fff9
java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
             at TLServer31.TlServer.a(Unknown Source)
             at TLServer31.TLServer.<init>(Unknown Source)
             at TLServer31.TLServer.main(Unknown Source)

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Launching TLServer 3.15
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »
It seems like during TLServer startingup it encounter an exception. We can't repeat your problem here. During starting up TLServer accesses two files "en_language.txt" and "TLServer1.cfg". It could be because one or both of these files were corrupted. You can rename "en_language.txt" file to a temporary file and delete the file "TLserver1.cfg" from the TL6 folder and restart TLServer and see if it works.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

garysdickinson

• Old PLC Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:30:34 PM »
I think that I understand the problem.  The fix (work around) is to install the program in the default location.

If I install in "C:\Program Files\TRiLOGI" TLServer DOES NOT run.

If I install in "C:\TRiLOGI", then the TLServer DOES RUN.

I specified "C:\Program Files\XXX" because this is where most Vista executable programs are installed and because YOUR installer opened a "Select Destination Directory" window asked me to select a folder.

As a minor point, when the TLServer does execute, the window that opens "PLC WebServer" partially hides the "Help" button and the "Version 3.15" text in the lower right corner.  The "Serial Port Setup", "Configure Users", and "Setup Emails" buttons are not centered horizontally.  The window cannot be resized.  If you pull on the bottom corner (diagonally) it will show the complete "Version 3.15" text momentarity, but the window snaps back to it's initial size.

Gary D.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:14:43 PM »
I have just installed the program in C:\Program Files\TRiLOGI\ - no problem starting the TLServer at all. Did you actually run the installation program to install at this folder or was it copied from another folder? TLServer 3.15 requires that the folder "lib" and all its content be present in the same folder as TLServer31.jar.

If all is well you should see the TLServer picture as follow:

Is it because you have defined fontIncrement for TLServer section to be too big which caused the display problem you saw? Perhaps it is a good idea to re-install your program in case there are settings that have been changed that led to strange behavior.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 06:17:52 PM by support »

garysdickinson

• Old PLC Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 03:43:57 PM »
This is how I installed TriLOG 6.21:
  • I uninstall the current TRiLOGI version first. I use the Windows Control Panel "Prorams and Features" (Vista).
  • remove the remaining directory structure C:\TRiLOGI or C:\Program Files\TRiLOGI.  Your uninstall routine does not remove all traces of TRiLOGI.
  • I perform a clean install using the file that I down loaded from http://www.tri-plc.com/trilogi5-upgrade/

I have done this 10 times.  If the TRiLOGI 6.21 is installed into C:\Program Files\TRiLOG  thenTLServer fails.  If TRiLOGI is installed at C:\TRiLOG then TLServer runs.  I have, also, installed into C:\TRiLOG6_21 and everything is fine.

The value of fontIncrement in the en_laguage.txt for the TLServer section is set to 0.  As I am doing a clean install, I have not modified this file.  If I change the value of fontIncrement, I DO SEE the font on the PLC WebServer get larger and smaller. However, the layout of the window does not look like the sample you have shown nor does it look like the version of the server that shipped with TRiLOGI 6.14.

I'm OK installing TRiLOGI in slightly non-standard locations on my hard disk.  It's just a tool.  

I will e-mail Mr. Yew a screen shot of the PLC WebServer Window (I don't have an easy way to include it on this bulletin board).  I've been helping him test some of his code.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 11:33:09 PM »
We have no problem installing TRiLOGI in C:\Program Files\TRiLOGI and start the TLServer. So I believe the problem you faced must be another of those weird security privilege imposed by Windows Vista. Perhaps you did not install with full "Administrator" privilege and therefore the Vista refuse to start the program for you when you try to run it off the "Program Files" folder? It is hard to know. In our case we installed the program in Windows Vista Home edition and Windows XP without any issue.

Also your TLServer screen problem is another weird phenomenon. I have upgraded our JRE to the 1.6.11 (same as your version) and installed TRiLOGI and TLServer and the screen starts up nicely. In fact if you drag the windows to larger it will stay larger and will not "shrink" back to the original size as you have reported.

Note the Java JRE have several version to suit different Windows platform (different for Vista and Vista 64 bit). Did you install the JRE that fits your O/S?