Author Topic: sequencer timing  (Read 5856 times)

ssali

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
sequencer timing
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:09:34 PM »
Hi.

I am very new to PLCs
I am trying to use a sequencer to be able to start and stop a motor. i understand that the sequencer needs to go from on to off to increment. i tried using 1.0 s clock, which runs each sequence for 1.0 second. My problem is that i want to run sequence 1 for 30 sec seq 2 for 5 sec and seq 3 for 30 sec..and so on. does anyone have any idea on how to do it?

I would really appreciate any help.

sara.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:sequencer timing
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:44:55 PM »
You can't drive it with a fixed clock since the sequence timing is different from one step to another.

You can use step 1 (e.g. Seq1:1) of the sequencer to trigger a timer for 30 sec. When the timer times out it advance the sequencer by 1 step to Seq1:2. Now trigger another timer for 5 second. When the 5 second timer times out advance the sequencer by one more step to Seq1:3. e.g. At each step of the sequencer you can also control the ON/OFF of any I/Os or run a custom function etc.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

ssali

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 07:35:26 AM »
Hey,

Thank you so much for the help.
I got it done. I really appreciate it.
I have one more question. I am trying to run a dc motor.
It needs to reverse directions. is it possible to do that in ladder?

Thanks,

Sara.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 01:46:01 PM »
Reverse DC current flow requires a H-bridge design which comprises of 4 contacts. You could construct a H-bridge using 4 external relays driven by two outputs. Your ladder circuit must interlock to prevent both outputs to be on at the same time which can cause short circuit.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

ssali

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
yeh..thats what i thought...Hbridge...just wanted to see if there was other ways..
ill look into Hbridge design and all ..dont know too much about it...but i did come across some good links on the web.
Thanks alot once again.
I appreciate all your help and quick replies.

tc.

Sara.