Author Topic: PLC Modem  (Read 6763 times)

dan

• View Profile
PLC Modem
« on: March 19, 2008, 07:39:05 AM »
Hi,

I have a new application were I will have a T100-Md monitoring the system. In the event of an error I need to send a SMS from a land line to a cell.

Any suggestions for a modem?

I would like to have several messages and phone no in the PLC and based on the event, send the appropriate string to the modem.

Thank you,

Dan

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:PLC Modem
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:40:52 AM »
Is the PLC attached to the land line or the cellular modem?  I am not aware of how to send SMS via a landline modem.

If the PLC is to be connected to a cellular modem there are GSM type cellular modem with SMS support and you can connect to the PLC via RS232 port so that the PLC can send/receive SMS messages via the cellular modem.

One other way is to send email via a service such as teleflip.com which allows you to send SMS using email service.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 02:57:35 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 11:57:14 AM »
Hi,

What about a pager?
I believe that I can I use T100Md connected to a modem, to call a pager and send a message to it.

Any samples codes?  Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Dan

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:53:27 PM »
If you have a numeric pager where you can dial from a touch tone phone in order to send a message (e.g. send a call back number), then all you need to do is the send the ATDT command to the landline modem  to mimic the same dialling sequence when you do it manually via the telephone keypad.

Some years ago one of customers connect a pager beeper output to the PLC's analog input. When he sends a numeric page to the pager the beeper output will change in voltage and the T100MD888+ PLC he used will notice the change and carry out some preprogrammed work. Needless to say, this is only suitable for non critical task but is a quick and cheap way to trigger some actions remotely.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS