Author Topic: Measuring temperature  (Read 11796 times)

LogicRetrofitters

• Ammonia Refrigeration
    • View Profile
    • Logic Retrofitters
Measuring temperature
« on: July 10, 2007, 08:35:08 PM »
I am building a project to measure temperature in four zones and log the temperatures on an hourly basis. Here are my questions:

What is a good source for sensors to measure temperature?

Could somebody show me the basic code for recording the info at the PC in my office.

Thanks lots,
Ben
Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

richard2511

• Good things come in small packages !
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Schelp & Asociados
Re:Measuring temperature
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:08:25 PM »
Regular and even cheap J or K type thermocouple will do fine. ICP A/D converters (I-7018) and any controller model handling RS485, offered by Tri will do the rest. Code examples for the converters are available on the web site and controller manuals. The rest is simple Basic. Logging to a PC may require some more esoteric Java, C++ or VB knowledge. If you just need to measure and nothing to control, an I-7018 plus Auto 485 is all you need to send the values to a PC through any RS232 port there. Premises for what you need on the computer are the same, just some changes on what comes and goes to the A/D, very well described in the manual.
Thermocouples may become expensive if you have long runs between measuring point and the A/D. If so, I would suggest some component type PT100 (KTY81 from Phillips) or other temperature sensor like LM35 or LM335 from National plus some electronics described in their application notes. LM35 is perhaps the best choice to build a 2 wire sensor with little additional components, needing no calibration and giving a 10 mV per degree C output. The I-7018 will be a good choice for same and may read up to 8 of these sensors.

LogicRetrofitters

• Ammonia Refrigeration
    • View Profile
    • Logic Retrofitters
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 04:06:01 PM »
Thanks. I will check that out.

Ben
Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

VimarisG

• www.icpdas-usa.com
    • View Profile
    • ICP DAS USA
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 03:40:03 PM »
ICP's data acquisition modules also come with Free EZ Data Logger Software, where up to 32 individual channels can be assigned to each workgroup, generate alarms, record trend files, and export them to a CSV or XCL file. The RS-485 connection allows easy interaction with Tri-PLCs T100s. The I-7018 has a variety of versions, including break-line detection, and higher ESD protections. Learn more at www.icpdas-usa.com/i_7018_bl_p_r.html

sandwich

• I'm not a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:42:51 PM »

I was skeptical but if you use thermocouple wire and simply put a small amount of solder at the junction it works perfect! They've been using it for years where I work and it always passes yearly calibration.

Can't get much cheaper then wire.

LogicRetrofitters

• Ammonia Refrigeration
    • View Profile
    • Logic Retrofitters
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 11:01:07 PM »
WOW! That's very interesting. I will have to try that out.

Thanks,
Ben