Author Topic: newbie?  (Read 8170 times)

texanx5

• View Profile
newbie?
« on: April 26, 2007, 07:57:17 PM »
I did a few searches but didn't find anyting to answer my ? so thought I'd post.  

I'm still amazed that one can get any plc this low back years ago when I was messing with such they were very expensive but this has got me thinking.  If I can truly find a plc that is in the home owners cost range I'd like to try a project with my kids.  Any recommendations on what product would work and approx. cost.  

Here is the project:
Set up a thermocouple feedback to the controller the temp. of my slow smoker have it intern run a 12-24 VDC fan and ramp up and down as needed to keep the fire at optimum temp.  I could fill the cooker with unlit lump then light it with a chimney of charcoal and tell it run.  Would be nice to possibly even add a number of other input thermocouples to tell me when the food is ready etc... I'm sure I can do the programming but am struggling a little to select if the <100 units would work, of couse I'd also have to rig up a fan so it would n't burn up but could use a pc type and a stand off tube, should work.  Any thoughts, sure some others have thought of this on those long nights smoking Boston butt or brisket.  ;)

richard2511

• Good things come in small packages !
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Schelp & Asociados
Re:newbie?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:20:17 PM »
Thermcouples need signal conditioning and A/D conversion to be further evaluated at digital level. No <100 model has A/D converters on board. More expensive models have, but still no signal conditioning or cold junction compensation. A/D's offered by Tri plus any <100 model will do but the A/D's range 200-300. Regards.