Author Topic: A few question about Real Time Clock.  (Read 6564 times)

FQ-ONG

• View Profile
A few question about Real Time Clock.
« on: March 06, 2007, 08:21:11 PM »
  • If the PLC without MX-RTC module, can I set Real Time Clock. (power is always on)
  • If power still on, how long the Real Time Clock can maintain and not switch back to default clock.
  • Can the custom make application program like VB to update the Real Time Clock, or not? And How?

Thank You.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:A few question about Real Time Clock.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 04:53:00 AM »
1) Yes, you can set the real time clock whether there is MX-RTC or not.

2) You can set real time clock from within TRiLOGI software or you can use a host link command (WVS) to set the real time clock. You can try the command from within TLServer -> Serial Port Setup. See T100MD+ USer manual for details.

3) Our sample VB6 communication program also have a similar serial port setup screen like that on the TLServer so you can use it to send WVS command to set the real time clock. You own program can make use of the pre-defined functions in this sample program to send the WVS command.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

cdenk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 12:43:40 PM »
I was about to question the shelf life of the Mx-RTC, both uninstalled and installed when I read this thread. I would be very happy with a replaceable battery on the side. Many people have these already with a a routine to annually (here in the USA smoke and CO detectors get replaced when we set clocks from daylight savings time in the fall), I also have a Automatic transfer switch for a standby generator that has a 9 volt battery that gets replaced.

It would seem that 2 piggybacked DIP sockets with some bent pins, a couple of diodes, a little wire, a battery holder, and maybe another component or 2 would do the job.

Can TRI-PLC produce such an item? The current situation seems less than desirable for long term projects.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 02:05:48 PM »
Unused/uninstalled MX-RTC has a freshness seal circuit which keep the battery shelf life for about 10 years.

Once installed, the MX-RTC does not use the battery when the PLC is powered up. When power down the battery support the RAM content and keep the real time clock running. Assuming 50% of the time the PLC is powered up the battery should last about 5 years or longer.

To keep the RAM power switched between the board power and battery power is more sophiscated than just a few diodes and battery board. The cost of customizing a solution so that the battery can be replaced would cost more than MX-RTC itself.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS