Author Topic: XServer  (Read 6085 times)

Zelphia

• View Profile
XServer
« on: January 26, 2007, 09:17:15 PM »
I added an XServer to my system and connected it to a Linksys
WET11 as described in the manual.  It is on my WLAN  at home and accessible from any PC on that network.  I was able to forward its port in my router and can access it from the Internet as well.  I am very impressed with the performance and speed.  It works like a dream.  I highly recommend it to anyone that wants wireless Intranet and/or Internet connectivity to their PLC!  

I have one question for the support group.  The little guy runs pretty hot.  What is the current draw when connected to 24 volts?  It is hot to the touch, especially the ethernet connector housing.  Is that normal?

Thanks for a great product!

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:XServer
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 04:25:18 PM »
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that it works out well for your application.

I am a bit surprised that it is hot to the touch. Does it become very hot immediately or after a long while? If it becomes hot immediately it is drawing too much current. But it takes sometime to accumulate heat then try to give  some forced air ventilation.The XServer draws about 250mA at 3.3V. There is a DC-to-DC converer circuit that steps down the input voltage (9 to 24V) to 3.3V with about 80-90% efficiency.  The total power consumed is close to 1W.  When it is confined to a small area it can become warm but the casing should not be hotter than 50 degree C.

Is the XServer using the same power supply as the PLC? Do they have the same ground reference if the power supplies are different? If the RS232 chip (ICL3232) is slightly damaged during connection/disconnection it could also draw a lot of current and therefore cause the system to heat up.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 04:31:22 PM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

Zelphia

• View Profile
Re:XServer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 06:45:45 PM »
I used a Fluke 87 to measure the current draw...

24V shared with PLC (same ground)
43ma - all cables disconected.
63ma - CAT 5 cable connected to Linksys.
67ma - CAT 5 to Linksys and RS232 connected to PLC.

I am measuring the temperature with an LM34 taped to the top of the Ethernet housing.  It climbed up to 102 deg F and stabilized.  The XServer is setting in open air at about 71 deg F communicating with ExcelLink and an Applet.  I don't think there is a problem other than my overly sensitive pinky.  Thanks for the reply and a great product!