Author Topic: nano-10 internet access  (Read 7111 times)

Foxdesign

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
nano-10 internet access
« on: November 21, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »
Hi there, I have got the nano working on a home wireless LAN so far, using a wireless AP (http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WA701ND#fea) in client mode with the nano plugged into it( via RJ45). I currently am able to access the nano with the standard web interface in a browser with 192.168.1.5:9080 both with a laptop and my phone. The intranet IP is 192.128.1.1

I now want to try and access the nano over the web. I have the Internet IP. How do I go about this? I plan on using my phone to test it. I have included a screenshot of the nano configuration, and I have forwarded port 9080 of the modem for 192.168.1.5 - can someone tell me if this is the correct thing to do? Am I far off getting this to work??!

Thanks in Advance

Todd

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:nano-10 internet access
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »
Section 2.7 of the Nano-10 User Manual describe how to access the PLC via the Internet. You need to port forward the port from the router to the PLC. After that you access the PLC by accessing the PUBLIC IP address of your ROUTER.

i.e. you do not access 192.168.1.5:9080 from the internet. If your home router public IP address is 123.234.0.1 then you will try to connect to this IP address and the port number.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

Foxdesign

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 08:40:02 AM »
Thanks, I have forwarded this port to my nano IP address and tested this to be working (this was tested using a port checking exe installed on my laptop on the same network, it said the port was open but that it was not able to ping the router tho it knew my external IP).
On trying to access this port using the external IP address (as per the format XX.XXX.XX.XXX:9080) from my phone it was unsuccesful.
has anyone else had this issue, and if so any solution?
the public IP address I used was from whatismyip.com

from the image I attached you can see that I have left the DNS and SMTP addresses as default, from the manual it doesn't sound as if this is necessary for this basic test?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 06:17:16 AM »
If you use a PC from the same local area network you should be able to ping your router external public IP address. But if you try to ping your router from outside of your network then it may not work because most routers are setup not to answer to external PING in order to prevent hacking attempts.

Also when properly forwarded you should be able to access your PLC using the public IP address from a PC within your own network if the port is properly forwarded.

Is there only a single router between your modem to the ISP and the PLC? If there is more than one layer of routers then things get more complicated.

What is the brand of the routers you are using? Most D-Link and Linksys routers we tested work but there was a model of D-Link router WBR-1310 we previously tested that never worked. Its port forwarding mechanism wasn't working properly.

Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS