Author Topic: Scan time  (Read 7321 times)

skj1402

• The Innovator!
    • View Profile
Scan time
« on: March 16, 2006, 04:18:48 AM »
Could you please tell me what the typical scan time is for a program of approx 6000 words (max capacity of PLC), and would it be half that time for a program of 3000 words i.e. is scan time directly proportional to program length? :-\

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Scan time
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 08:47:13 AM »
Ladder logic scan time is about 10 microsecond per step, whereas TBASIC is approximately 100 to 500 microsecond per command depending on the command type and number of parameters. There is no simple way to compute the scan time since most TBASIC are executed in {dCusF} which is a differentiated instruction and so is not executed every scan of the ladder program.

If you need to handle fast I/O response, use the interrupt inputs or use them as high speed counter or Pulse Measurement input.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

whenry

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 01:11:59 PM »
How would one go about monitoring / measuring scan time within the program?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 01:51:39 PM »
create a ladder circuit as follow:

Out1           Out1
|---|/|---------(OUT)

Then measure the output waveform with an oscilloscope or frequency counter. The scan time is half the period of the output square wave.

sengbeng

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 05:00:37 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your input...

regards
sengbeng ;)

WonderY

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 11:06:28 PM »
Hi Guys,

what if there's not enough interupt inputs or high speed input? Get a few more MD and network together? If I need to put together a high speed machine with 4 servo motor, can I use the MD?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 05:00:49 PM »
You certain can use more than one MD to handle 4 high speed interrupt tasks. The two PLC each will have its own code to handle its inputs but one of them can be the master and the other the slave unit and then can communicate via RS485.

Roonster

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 06:23:41 PM »

With an MD PLC running a fixed program that has both Ladder logic and Basic Functions Does the scan time vary from scan to scan depending on which special functions are called?  Or is the scan time the same every cycle regardless of which branch operations are executed?

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 08:00:21 PM »
The scan varies depending on which custom function is executed and how much time the custom function consumes. So scan time is not a very meaningful measurement of the PLC performance since not every custom function is executed at every scan of the ladder program.