Author Topic: Communication via XServer  (Read 5886 times)

oes

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Communication via XServer
« on: June 08, 2006, 12:57:30 PM »
Could you tell me how I can exchange data between a program running on a PC and the PLC via Xserver?  

What I'd like to do is periodically send data over the internet from the PLC to a program running on a remote PC, and then have that program send data (updated parameters, say) back to the PLC.

I found info (in the XServer instructions) for writing and reading to a file on a remote PC, but these are PLC-initiated instructions.  Can a remote program request information from the PLC?  I assume this is what the ExcelLink code does.  How do you do this?  What are the available commands and syntax?
Thanks in advance.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Communication via XServer
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 01:38:54 PM »
Both ExcelLink and TRiLOGI program are clients to the XServer. The client needs to login to XServer and after successful login, it can then send host link command to the PLC via the XServer. If what you need is for your own PC application program to talk to the XServer, you need to write a java program that uses our Java API library called "PLCmon.jar" to perform the login to the XServer and there are also built-in functions available to facilitate your java program to send host link commands to the PLC and receive responses from the PLC.

PLCmon.jar is available at no charge to licensed TRiLOGI user who have also bought the M-series PLC hardware. Please contact sales@tri-plc.com and provide your purchase information (invoice # or if you have bought from a dealer, send a copy of the invoice from the dealer). We can then send you the PLCmon.jar file after receiving a signed NDA.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

oes

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re:Communication via XServer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 04:13:29 PM »
Thanks for the guidance!  I'll request the software.