Author Topic: Bluetooth Communications  (Read 7810 times)

Kelly McFarland

Bluetooth Communications
« on: September 15, 2005, 02:55:53 PM »
Given the RS232 communications capability of the product, what are my options for incorporating a wireless Bluetooth connection between this device(PLC) and remote sensors.  I would like to hear if others have attempted this and what are the gothcha's

I am new to Bluetooth technology but from what I understand it is compatible with RS232. Their is at least one company I have found that makes a DB9 connected transciever for Bluetooth and they claim it has a range of up to 300 meters.

Has anyone else experimented with wireless comms on this platform.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
Re:Bluetooth Communications
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 12:42:22 PM »
Bluetooth is an entirely different technology from RS232. If anyone make an RS232 to Bluetooth adapter it is not a simple media conversion such like RS232 to RS485 converter. It is actually a bluetooth device where you can communicate through it using the RS232. All the smart is in the device itself. You will then have to refer to the device manual on what command it expects from the RS232 side to command it to do something useful.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

GuidoZ

Re:Bluetooth Communications
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 03:59:40 AM »
I am new to Bluetooth technology but from what I understand it is compatible with RS232. Their is at least one company I have found that makes a DB9 connected transciever for Bluetooth and they claim it has a range of up to 300 meters.

You could take a look at http://www.sphinx-elektronik.de/deutsch/bluetooth/picoplug_tech.htm
The Pico Plug is huge, but could often be found at eBay for around 10-20$

This is a Bluetooth to RS232 or LPT-Adapter.

Bye
Guido.