Author Topic: TL53.jar almost works native in Linux  (Read 11914 times)

evanh

• y=A+B*(1-cos(2*Pi*x))
    • View Profile
TL53.jar almost works native in Linux
« on: November 05, 2005, 08:25:37 PM »
I've recently been experimenting with setting up the office with a Linux based PC and just installed SetupTL5.exe under the MEPIS distro using CrossOver.  After chasing missing icons I found that there were plain .jar files that could be run straight from Linux.  I did so, using the command from TL5.bat, and the editor popped up just fine.  :)

Sadly, apon trying to load an example PLC program it would fail saying it couldn't find the file.  :(  However, I can make a new program and save and reload it in the examples directory so there must be a file format problem (eg: CR/LF vs LF only).

Also, it's getting tons of font errors listed via stdout/stderr which, not surprisingly, causes much lose of info in the rendering of the editor.

I suspect there is not much stopping this.

I tried running the server using "java -DSERIAL_PORT_LIST=/dev/ttyS0  -jar TLServer21.jar" but it was less succesfull complaining that:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: SerOpenPort
        at Serialio.SerialPortLocal.SerOpenPort(Native Method)
        at Serialio.SerialPortLocal.open(Unknown Source)
        at Serialio.SerialPortLocal.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at b.f.a(Unknown Source)
        at b.f.new(Unknown Source)

Anyone in the development team been experimenting?

Evan

castlerock

• geek
    • View Profile
Re:TL53.jar almost works native in Linux
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 05:24:11 PM »
Anyone in the development team been experimenting?

i certainly hope so.  i've found only one total linux solution in plc's (SoftPLC ) and its too expensive to buy just to play with.  this is really holding me back because i use linux exclusively.

win4lin works but its slowwwwww.

Linux : because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

evanh

• y=A+B*(1-cos(2*Pi*x))
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 07:35:33 PM »
Actually, I've just tried the server under Win98SE w/J2SE 1.5.0 and it's reporting the exact same comport error.  I guess there is a Java problem ...

Evan

evanh

• y=A+B*(1-cos(2*Pi*x))
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 08:28:47 PM »
Ok, fixed the Windoze problem by moving a dll into path and looking at the full dump for the Linux run we have a similar but not the same error:  It's wanting a library called "jspLux86" instead of "jspWin" so I figure I've got another problem as that name is not present in the install files.

Warning: Cannot convert string "-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct
Installation Directory = /home/diatronics/.cxoffice/Unsupported/drive_c/TRiLOGI/TL5/
Serialio.SerialPortLocal: version 9.1: build 9104
Copyright (c) 1996-2002 Serialio.com, All Rights Reserved.
os.name="Linux"  os.arch="i386"
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no jspLux86 in java.library.path: Check that native library jspLux86 is in proper directory
Serial ports reported by system:
/dev/ttyS0;fsdir = /home/diatronics/.cxoffice/Unsupported/drive_c/TRiLOGI/TL5/FileService/
Getting Server IP addresses from O/S
IP Address 1 = blackie/127.0.0.1
        at Serialio.SerialPortLocal.SerOpenPort(Native Method)
        at Serialio.SerialPortLocal.open(Unknown Source)
        at Serialio.SerialPortLocal.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at b.f.a(Unknown Source)
        at b.f.new(Unknown Source)
        at TLServer21.TLServer.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at TLServer21.TLServer.main(Unknown Source)

evanh

• y=A+B*(1-cos(2*Pi*x))
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 09:37:12 PM »
Right, a quick google got me this, http://www.serialio.com/support/jspInstall.htm
It appears to be a commercial product that TRi will have paid for, https://serialio.com/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=serialport

I'm not too keen on purchasing this only to find it's not the complete fix.

Evan

castlerock

• geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 01:49:50 PM »
Right, a quick google got me this, http://www.serialio.com/support/jspInstall.htm
It appears to be a commercial product that TRi will have paid for, https://serialio.com/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=serialport

I'm not too keen on purchasing this only to find it's not the complete fix.

hmmm....i wouldn't either.   and i had such high hopes.  oh well.
Linux : because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 11:17:48 AM »
We have bought the Linux serial port driver development package which allows us to redistribute the runtime file "libjspLux86.so.4.6" to interested customers. If you want to try it out please email to support@tri-plc.com. However, we do not support troubleshooting for any Linux installation since officially the package only runs on Windows PC.

We also have TRiLOGI version 6.0 beta version that allows you to change the font type used in the package. It stores the file in Unicode format and hence support international character sets such as Chinese, Korean Japanese, Spanish, French etc to be used on the Menu and you can create I/O labels and comments in international languages. If you are interested to try it on Linux to see if this can resolve the font errors and file format error then we can provide you the related files to play with.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 11:26:26 AM by support »
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

evanh

• y=A+B*(1-cos(2*Pi*x))
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 12:40:44 AM »
It really works!  :)

The serial driver allows me to both program and monitor the PLC so we have a winner in terms of function.  That's the good news.

The bad news is that the fonts are still having serious problems.  I'll work on how to config these with the new TL60.jar, hopefully it'll make a dif ...

Cheers,
Evan

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 10:43:01 AM »
Thank you for the feedback. We are glad to know that you have managed to get the TLServer and TRiLOGI to work under Linux even though the program has never been tested under Linux environment.  (We don't support it due to the number of different Linux installations combined with different JRE versions, which can potentially be a big problem to support).

What are the fonts that are giving problem? The font type can be changed in the file en_language.txt which works with TL60.jar. TL6 can open any TL5 file and if you save them with .PC6 (default) extension they will be saved in Unicode format. I am not sure if that will eliminate the problem when attempting to open a file previously created by TL6 that runs under Windows. Most of the fonts used in TL6 are "Dialog" and "Monospaced" which should be standard Java fonts. The font that gave problem could be "Arial" and "Arial Narrow" which are used on the ladder diagram for I/O labelling. Try replacing them with other fonts that are available under Linux..
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

Ken Wood

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Linux and T100MD888+ Working Perfectly.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 08:24:49 PM »
Perfect Working System using old DOS version of Trilogi and a T100MD888+ with LINUX.
(DOS TRILOGI Ver 4.13.exe)

1) Using kubuntu 6.06 LTS, launch adept

2) Install Wine.
(this will be needed to run win32 base winzip self extractor: DOS TRILOGI Ver 4.13.exe )

3) Install DOSEMU

4) run "winecfg" to configure wine. I'm not sure anything needs to be changed. you might be able to skip this step.

5) use "sudo kwrite" to edit /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf Serial Port Settings section and un-comment this line and use /dev/ttyS0 if PLC is plugged into com1:
$_com1 = "/dev/ttyS0"
# $_com2 = "/dev/ttyS1"
# $_com3 = "/dev/ttyS2"
# $_com4 = "/dev/ttyS3"

6) Extract DOS version of PLC Programming application using console to run
"wine "DOS TRILOGI Ver 4.13.exe"".
(keep inner most quotes)
 A Winzip dialog will pop up for extraction to c:\
(extract and close)

7) run "dosemu" (you are now running DOS) and enter "D:" at the C: prompt.  (D: was automatically  mapped to your linux home directory where you just extracted TRILOGI.)

eight) "cd TRILOGI"   (smilies issue with eight)
(or navigate to the dir where the tl.bat is located.)

9) type "tl [enter]"  :)

I just transfered and ran the demo.pc4 and setlcd.pc4 with no issue. monitor mode works fine too.

Good Luck
Ken Wood

Ken Wood

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Correction to TRILOGI on Linux
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 05:06:11 AM »
Correction:
 Wine uses /home/username/.wine/drive_c as drive c:
    This is where TRILOGI will be extracted to.

dosemu uses /home/username as drive D:

Use konqueror to copy/move the TRILOGI folder from /home/username/.wine/drive_c/TRILOGI
to
/home/username/TRILOGI

alternately, you can launch dosemu, goto D:, and then
"cd .wine\drive_c\TRILOGI" before running tl.bat

I'll try to check back a few times to answer any questions.
Ken Wood

also, if your feeling brave you could use nomachine(nx) or vnc to program and monitor the PLC over the internet. I'll have to try this soon.