Author Topic: Firefox as web browser producing error  (Read 5566 times)

evanh

Firefox as web browser producing error
« on: July 20, 2005, 10:46:32 PM »
Internet TRiLOGI Version 5.3
Mozilla Firefox Version 1.0.4
Windoze 98SE

When clicking on any menu item that would bring up help in the browser we get, "c is not a registered protocol", popping up in a little alert with an "Okay" button and no help follows.  I think the message is from Firefox.

PS:  I can read the help with Firefox just fine from the "Start Menu".

Evan

evanh

Re:Firefox as web browser producing error
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 10:52:47 PM »
Rewording that ... When clicking on any menu item in TRiLOGI that would bring up help using a browser ...

oh, and it's TRiLOGI version 5.32.

Evan

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Internet Programmable PLCs
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 01:35:19 AM »
Did you change the default browser path in the "config.tl5" file ? You can use the Windows Notepad to change the browser path in the above file and then restart TRiLOGI and try again. The default browser path is set to:

Browser Path=C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE

You should change the path to point to Firefox.
Email: support@triplc.com
Tel: 1-877-TRI-PLCS

evanh

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 07:14:56 PM »
Yep, sorry, done that aready.  The message before that was something like "Unable to locate program IEXPLORE.EXE"

Evan

evanh

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 07:19:02 PM »
Another detail is this PC is using Java 2 SE Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_01-b08) Copyright 2004 Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Evan

evanh

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 08:50:41 PM »
Is this getting any attention?

Evan

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 05:44:49 PM »
When you click on the help, the TRiLOGI program send the path of the browser and the location of the help file to Windows to request the browser to open the help file. So in case of IE, it is:

C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE  C:\TRiLOGI\TL5\public\Help\content.htm

This works well with IE6 and I believe also with Netscape 7. However, the trouble seems to be that Firefox does not allow the local file path to be an argument. Instead it thinks that "c:" is meant to be a "protocol" (such as "http:" means hyperText transport protocol) and therefore it returns an error saying that "c is not a valid protocol" !!!

We are sending this problem report to development team and hopefully they will look into this in their next version release.

It is probably better for you to keep your IE browser even though you don't use it for day to day browsing. There are websites that don't work with Firefox so it may make sense to keep a copy of the IE6 on your disk and it will also work with the current TRiLOGI.

evanh

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 10:55:03 PM »
Thankyou for the reply, and the explaination makes good sense too.  :)

As for IE, the lock-you-in hooks make it a no-go.

Cheers,
Evan

support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 08:55:32 PM »
I have a working copy of TL53.jar here with me that I tested to work with Firefox browser. It is not yet officially released for upgrading since the changes are minor. If you are interested in using this version in order to use the Firefox browser for help, please contact us via email to support@tri-plc.com and state your purchase history, and we can email it to you to replace your TL53.jar file.